Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Subs cut out..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 AM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs cut out..

Question.. i'll be thumping w/ my 2 MTX 12" Sub's (comps) powered w/ a kicker 750+ watts (750x1 Class D Mono Block) (at heavy bass) and my subs will be thumping and all of a sudden it'll miss a bass note and than keep on going (At Heavy BASS) at mid volume level its fine.... it does it frequently while i'm in park, when i'm driving its usually fine...brand spankin' new subs (not even 2 weeks old) and the amp is a couple months old..
Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)!!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 AM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie
Default RE: Subs cut out..

I also have a 5 farad capacitor.....and my lights dim really bad at heavy bass (more noticable at night) lol :-x

Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Low voltage. Keep doing it and you won't be worrying about missing a beat here and there. You'll be wondering where you put the box so you can send it out for repair. Add a second battery and/or get a larger alternator. Capacitors are a band-aid and are overused as a solution. Keep it, it does serve a purpose, just not what you're trying to make it do.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 PM
the727kid
Rookie

Like he said caps are pretty much pointless.

On the Dodge Ram do a complete big 3 upgrade. Chage out your Alternator to Battery wire to 0 gauge, your chasis to block, and chasis to battery ground wires both to 0 gauge. That should cure your problems significantly. But with that amp I am going to guess you are clipping it.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
keyboardninja

ORIGINAL: the727kid
I don't think he said it was pointless.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

Bigger alt? alrighty.... how big should i go? and what should i get? I've had my system sence christmas and my alternator hasn't failed yet (hella abuse) *knock on wood* because i don't have that much money to spend... i have 750+x1 for subs and 75x4 for components...(300+ 750 = 1050+ a bit more....so prolly around 1200 watts w/ both amps counted together) if you can find my a alternator that can handle this + offroading lights + fog lights...i'd be greatly appreciate it :-)

Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: keyboardninja

ORIGINAL: the727kid
I don't think he said it was pointless.
Might as well have

Does the amp turn off......or do you know? Where is the amp grounded at?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 AM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

no it doesn't turn off, it'll hit a bass note, act like it missed it and continue thumping' (when i'm driving its alright...) when i'm parked it'll do it once in awhile... ( i don't know where the ground is off hand...circuit city did the install, i've seen these installs so much...i did my first install on my buddies jeep grand cherokee awhile ago... Jenson H/U, 500x1 (more like 250x1 lol)Magnum Amp + two 500 watt Magnum 12's...thumps nicely.. and earned him a warning by the police the same night..lol :-x)

I don't have a lot of money right now being a college student...i have a stock alternator + a everstart 900 CCA battery that came w/ the truck when purchased... i hate to say it but my old ford had 2 10" Kickers, 2 amps, (Kicker + Eclipse) and a 1.5 farad cap, and it handled fine and thumped like maddd.. :-P, even tho i'm not a ford fan by any means..

Anyways i'd be willing to upgrade my alternator..to a mean grean that runs 200 to 250 amps... (which is like $399, was the cheapest i've found) and i know there is a guide to the Big 3 upgrade...but i don't know how much wire i would need to do that upgrade? (0 guage wire), and i don't know if i should replace the everstart w/ a Optima yellow top? or a red top? i really can't afford to run two optimas + all the wiring + the isolator...

any input would be appreciated, thank you guys!!

Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

If CC did it, take it to them and have themcheck it out. You will need the ticket #..............or the phone # of whoever paid for the install.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 AM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

How much amperage am i drawing? how big is the stock alt in a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500? (Laramie), i have a 750x1 (rated) cert says 946, its not turned all the way up, and i have a eclipse w/ 75x4 or a total of 300 through the components...? just curious...cause the alt screams when i have my volume between 50 to 55 (goes up to 80) tuned to heavy bass around 46 to 55 w/ clear vocals....

Quick Reply: Subs cut out..