Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

1998 Dodge Dakota Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
fhfgjg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Dakota Wiring Harness Question

Ok so i bought an Alpine head unit to go in my 98 dakota. I bought a Scosche wiring harness and hooked it to the head unit harness. i color matched every single wire except some pink wire that had no match. I was just wondering if i did anything wrong? i hooked it up and it works fine. There was a black plug hooked into the factory unit that i left unhooked....not sure if this was some ground i was supposed to hook up? like i said i think i did everything right but i was going to make sure on here.

Any help?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Troy_Audi0
Rookie
Default RE: 1998 Dodge Dakota Wiring Harness Question

ORIGINAL: fhfgjg

Ok so i bought an Alpine head unit to go in my 98 dakota. I bought a Scosche wiring harness and hooked it to the head unit harness. i color matched every single wire except some pink wire that had no match. I was just wondering if i did anything wrong? i hooked it up and it works fine. There was a black plug hooked into the factory unit that i left unhooked....not sure if this was some ground i was supposed to hook up? like i said i think i did everything right but i was going to make sure on here.

Any help?
Pink on the HU?
is it a DVD player?
could be a Phone Mute..
I think you need to ground the HU if it didnot have a Black wire on the harness going to the Dakota..
I know mine dose not have a ground in the harness..
pix would help most..

Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 AM
fhfgjg

well you have these 2 which hook into the 2 corresponding on the dakota wires, and then you havea FM plug...which i hooked in.

http://img.products.howstuffworks.co...9/37540921.JPG

But you also have a little black wire that turns into a plug that i unhooked from the factory unit and didnt need to hook into the new unit? unless i was supposed to ground it?

the pink wire on the alpine harness i believe is for something extra that i am not using.

I dont think i should ground it? but i am fairly new to this so any response is good, i have messed this stuff up before.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
fhfgjg

And no, no DvD. just an mp3/cd player. But every wire color coded so well that i figured i was supposed to hook them all up. But i have heard time where you dont need to?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

The seperate black wire that plugged into the factory radio that is all by itself IS the ground for the radio. Dakotas of that era do not have a ground wire in the main harness. You must hook thisseperate blackwire to the black ground wire from your new radio to get aproper ground. Right now you are most likely grounding the radio through the antenna wire, which will eventually lead to problems. 9You can check by unplugging the antenna and seeing if the radio still powers on. The pink wire is probably a mute wire, so don't need to hook that to anything. Just make sure any wires you're not using are insulated so they don't come in contact with any other wires or chassis ground.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Dakota Wiring Harness Question