Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

'06 Grand Caravan Head Unit Replacement... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
CrimsonLake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Grand Caravan Head Unit Replacement... HELP!!

I am installing an SONY aftermarket head unit. Purchased from Crutchfields, so it came with the harnesses, instructions, etc. Hooked it up - no sound - thought the head unit looked like it was receiving a radio signal. Researched and found out about the infinity speakers with the amps built in and was told I needed additional wiring - 1) hook up the blue wire (amp or antenna - I forgot which one) - didn't work 2) hook up a relay to trigger the amps. I'm in the middle of that, but can't find the correct wire to hook the relay to.

Any help on proper wiring diagrams or exact instructions to get this working would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 02:00 PM
CrimsonLake
Default RE: '06 Grand Caravan Head Unit Replacement... HELP!!

A little more info - turns out that the amp is a separate unit and according to Crutchfields, cannot be triggered at all and either has to be bypassed or replaced.

Is this true?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

you need an amp bypass harness. Look into Metra.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
jim05GCVN

Wow, glad I found this, I am having the same problem, its been plaguing me for months.
Our 05 had the 6 CD changer, and we bought it used, and I see no Infinity badges anywhere, so its stock.
The CD player started to get upset at our "made" CDs. THey stopped playing, and got caught in the machine. I brought teh van to Circuit City (it ws out of warantee) to have them put in an aftermarket stereo. The called and said we cannot get any sound out of it, maybe it sht ecomputer or something, anyway, for an extra $00 they would rewire it, new speakers, etc. and make it work. I passed. I bought a single CD OEM radio from an EBay company. I popped out the original, put in the EBay one, no sound, as far as I could tell, everything worked, but I could nopt get any sound to come out. I popped in the old one, bam, sound no problem (from the radio, we don't put CDs in the unit any more). Ok, so I mananged to convince the EBay store to credit the single CD player, and I will give them another $100 (total $179 now) for a 6 CD changer, it came from an 03 Jeep Liberty, and is the exact duplicate of the one that came with teh van. I swap that out... nothing. Swapped the original back in, bam, its playing the radio again.
So, I don't get it, if it is an amp problem, why won't it accept the OEM radio, the duplicate radio. Needless to say the local Dodge dealer has been less than cooperative. They took it once with the single CD player, and then said we cant get this to work but we can install another one for $300+, I said I will pass. I just talked to them again, to see if I could get anything out of them, maybe a passcode or something. They just wanted me to bring it in, and no doubt they wil lgive me the same song and dance. If anyone has any ideas, I would really really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Dutch

Chrysler is starting to follow GM's approach to radios, wiring extra crap though them and adding extra stuff to make replacement more difficult.

I've heard that they are starting to hook up there amps and radios to the Databus system which is connected to the computers in the vehicle (ECM/PCM and BCM). GM already does this with the newer Bose and Monsoon systems.

The one you got from ebay might work, but youmight have to take it to the dealer to see if the VIN that is programed can be re-programmed with your vehicles VIN. It's basically an Anti-Theft feature. Mind you I'm not 100% sure this is the problem I would ask the dealer some more questions.

Either that or the radio you bought from ebay is not compatible with your vehicle.

I've done alot of installs for HU's on Caravans but no 05's or newer as of yet.

It could just be that the installers at CC didn't hook something up properly like a remote wire etc or you might have to do and Amp Bypass.
Not all installers are equal with regards to troubleshooting or install skills.

Just throwing out some ideas,
Regards,
Dutch

Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Dutch

Scratch my previous comments about the databus system thatprobably doesn'tapply toyour situation Jim.

Jim the radio you purchased is probably not the correct one. Take the new radio to the dealer and ask if its the correct one for your vehicle and trim level (bring your VIN #).

Crimson as far as your troubles go I can't find the correct part but I'm pretty sure since you have the Infinity system you need an extra part if you want to replace your HU.
I think your problem is related to the computer controlled crap on the vehicle.

Periphrial or PAC should have one for your vehicle but it will probably be $50 - 150 for the part.

Regards,
Dutch

Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
jim05GCVN

Dutch,
Yes thanks, looking further into it, it seems very much that it is not compatible. It turns out, the unit I got was from a 03 Jeep Liberty, and finally, I got a service guy at Dodge that was willing to talk a bit, he say that the 03 is regular buss and the 05 Caravan is that Databus you were talking about. I sent a note to the Ebay guy asking for a changer from an 05 Dodge, or my money back. It was $179 total. If I get it back, I will just go to Crutchfield. Once you spend over $130, everything needed comes for free (fit kits, wiring adapters, etc.) so it seems I should prob take that route. Plus a new stereo will be just that, will be able to play mp3s, and my son can plug in his iPod, etc.

Thanks for your help,

JimL

Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

You will have to find a databuss adaptor for the car....there is no way to trigger the factory amp without it.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM
mjc1024

UPDATE:

There are a couple of wiring harness adapters that you can get that will connect the aftermarket head unit to the Infinity system, including the powered amp and sub. Crutchfield has one available, but it requires running a lot of new wire from the head unit to the factory speakers. The other one connects directly from the new head un it to the factory harness of the Infinity system, worked like a charm!! My system totally rocks now and it was a really simple install. I installed a Sony head Model # DSX-S300BTX which is now discontinued, but the equivalent model 310 is available. I need to find the manufacturer of the adapter harness. When I do, I'll post.

Quick Reply: '06 Grand Caravan Head Unit Replacement... HELP!!