Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Emergency Help with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
guestie107
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Help with wiring

Hi, I just got a 2005 dodge ram 1500 rumblebee edition and sadly it was already broken into. In the process of the kids, all under 16 they decided that instead of just disconnecting the factory cd player they would cut through the wires. I went to a dealer and they said they can only get a 20 wire set (mine is 15). I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them and what they did and if I wired up the 15 in the correct spots and left the other 5 blank if it would work or is it just easier to get someone to install a new aftermarket cd player right to the cables.

Also with the wires being cut my keyless entry doesnt work, warning chyme when the keys are in the ignition doesnt work and the interior light wont turn on without the truck on. All is fine when the truck is on but nothing works when its not. Is this common? or did the kids do alot more damage than firstthought

Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Emergency Help with wiring

Sorry to hear that, that really sucks, esp with such a nice truck. You can go the dealer way, but im not sure about the 20/15 connection issue, or go the rough way of playing test and trail with the aftermarket cd player. But if it was me i would reference the stereo etc and check the junk yards.... 30% cheaper, 100% easier install. That way all your wiring is connected back to its origional configuration. Most of the newer trucks in the JY's already have the stereos removed so its a quick reach and snip. Even if you plan on going to a aftermarket stereo i would suggest it.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Personally if it was mine I'd get a soldering iron and some same gauge wire and splice in a length of wire and solder it and tape it or shrink wrap all the connections matching the wire colors ...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
guestie107
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to track down a "fresh" truck matching mine that was involved in an accident and the owner let me rip it out so now it just take some hours to connect everything back up.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Nice find, that was quick. Good luck on your venture.

Quick Reply: Emergency Help with wiring