Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Question a 600 watt amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 04:23 PM
nemesisprogram
|
Veteran
Default Question a 600 watt amp

My gf's father gave me a 600 watt amp today. I want to use it but I am not sure if its what I need. It said its a 600 watt max power 1-2-3 channel with 150 max rms per 2 channel. I installed some 6x9 pionners with 460 max watts and 85 rms like 2 weeks ago. So basicly will this amp just barley power the two 6x9s? I am a newb to car audio. Also does this mean I have to take the door panels back off and re wire the amp to the 6x9's... Or just to the battery terminal and headunit

Thanks

btw I have a new Pionner headunit with 45 watt built in amp

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:30 AM
trjnrstlr07
Rookie
Default RE: Question a 600 watt amp

ok well I would say that yea the 600 watt amp will power it, but it will sound less than it being installed on to one speaker, with two your splitting the output., and where are the 6x9s right now are they hooked up to your head unit in the door, cause then if you want them to run through the amp youd have to wire them to that and then the amp to the head unit. the self amp on the head unit helps bring a better control to the amp you can fine tune your sound quality that way better... by the way I have two 1300 watt 12 and each is mounted to a 1300 watt amp,... let me tell you somthin when I was a noob at this I was stupud and mounted both to one amp and it work but the sound wasnt as "hard" as they are now,... not to mention that I would over heat the amp, cause I was always pushing it real lound and and the out put was 2600 from a 1200 so yea it over heated after just playing one song and I would have to let it cool off... fyi

Old 03-11-2008 | 01:35 AM
Dutch

Can you clairify a couple of things.

1-2-3" Channel Amp ?
What is the make and model numberof Amp you have ?
It sounds to me like its a 2 channel amp if the rating is 150 Watts x 2 RMS.
Make and model would really help.

150 max rms ?
It can't be bothRMS and Max. It has to be one or the other.
RMS is constant power, Max is if lightining strikes it......lol

If you haven't done an amp install before I suggest you have someone with you for your first install, that has done one before.

It's not that hard to install.

Get a Amplifer wiring kit from Walmart, Bestbuy or the like.
I would say go with 8 gauge for a guess since we don't know exact specs on the amp.

Just curious what are your goals or what are you hoping for by adding the amplifer to your system ?

If its Bass then please buy a subwoofer and use the amp to power that.
If its screaming loud highs and mids then hook the amp up to your 6x9's as planned.

Regards,
Dutch

Old 03-11-2008 | 01:53 PM
nemesisprogram
|
Veteran

Yeah I am looking for louder high and mids not intrested in bass right now.

Its a Hotshots HS600 Model # 970601988

1/2/3 Channel Amplifier
Mosfet Circuitry
Bridgeable
2 OHM Stable
2 x 300 Watts Max
2 x 150 Watts RMS0 03% THD

Quick Reply: Question a 600 watt amp