Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Tryin' to learn about my 08 Ram - HU Removal/Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
tanker001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tryin' to learn about my 08 Ram - HU Removal/Swap

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I've searched this board till I've gone crosseyed but can't seem to find an answer to my questions.

I am trying to decide if I want to install an after market stereo or try to find a factory RAQ unit to replace the factory REF unit it came with. After 3 months I am finding more and more that I miss the RDS feature that is not included with the REF unit. I special ordered my truck and with the config below never imagined that a radio would come without RDS nowadays (especially with satellite standard)

To help me understand how my factory stereo is setup, I would appreciate if someone out there could answer my questions below. Before that here is the factory equipment that is installed:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab with-

AM/FM Stereo with CD Player - order code REF
Preferred Equipment Group that includes - 7 Infinity(TM) Speakers, Steering wheel mounted controls
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
UConnect(R) Hands-Free Communication

If I decide to look for a RAQ radio unit does anyone know the part number (PN) of the unit that will help my search?

Is there a RAQ radio PN I should look for that is a best fit for my vehicle (if more than one, one PN for Jeep, one PN for Chrysler, etc.)?

Are the Satellite Radio & UConnect functions built into the radio unit that is in the dash or are they external "adapter" boxes that plug into the radio unit?

Regardless of what radio I install, are there any good instructions on the net that show how to gain access to the radio. I have seat option AJ (bucket seats) with center console.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Stan

Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
SmittyRN
Professional
Default RE: Tryin' to learn about my 08 Ram - HU Removal/Swap

I've got a RAQ radio from my '08 sitting at my house, I replaced it with a Kenwood HU. Make me an offer. You can change the radio out in less than 5 minutes if you want to. The Sirius and the UConnect are add-on units; I imagine that all you would have to do is swap radios and things will work.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
sos
All Star

When you say the satellite is an add on, is that a seperate box? If I swap head units will the satellite still work? I was considering swapping out my single disc for the 6 disc too, but since I have a whole year of satellite that was included, I don't want to lose that. Also, does it matter that I have the Infinity speakers?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

A simple radio swap should work. The Sirius reciever is located behind the glove box, and the subscription will be assigned to it. If you have the 7 speaker Infinity package, you have an amp near the Sirius reciever that drives your speakers. Pop the bezel off, 4 screws hold your head unit in, unplug the radio connectors and antennas, reverse order to install the new radio.... it's really too easy, you can steal one in 60 seconds if you wanted.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
tanker001

Smittyrn thanks for selling me your radio. I did try to go to ebay to add some positive feed back but since we didn't do the transaction through ebay it wouldn't let me.

So a public thanks pleasure doin' business ya, you were very helpfull. [sm=smiley20.gif]

I took pictures as I was installing it and at some point I'll post them here.

Stan

Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Shoot, I was wanting one too!! I guess I'll keep looking.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 AM
tanker001

Maybe post a message in the classifieds - wanted area.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Mercer

Thoughs pics would come in real handy...

I am installing a sub and amp and need behind the stock radio. When I tried to remove the cover I think I broke one of the snap ins, sorry brain fart I can't remember the actual name. I took out the two screws behind the fold away drink carrier. I read that the next step is to just pull.

What am I doing wrong?
Post those pics please

Old 06-28-2008, 05:20 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
MPMPDave

I'm in the same boat, I bought a new Laramie, and it came with that lousy radio...

Does anyone know if the RAK radio (6CD/MP3/WMA/Cassette Deck) will swap into the old REF spot while still supporting my Sirius and UConnect system?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Tryin' to learn about my 08 Ram - HU Removal/Swap