Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2004 Ram Double DIN install (pic intensive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up 2004 Ram Double DIN install (pic intensive)

For those of you who are not on DT or been following the double DIN install of my AVIC HU, here are some pics from start to finish.

Well after being motivated to do this also, here are some 1st round pics of my DD install. Ill post some more later. I did get my Dremel out with a diamond disc and cut my console for the radio fitment but didnt take pics. If I get a chance today I will be getting my fiberglass started.

Here are some more. Today when I get home I can start filling in with Bondo.

This is the center piece with the top cut off. I used a dremel and a diamond circular blade on all my cuts.

This is a closer pic

This is pic of the front right top

This is a pic of the front left top

This is a pic of the back left top

This is a pic of the back right top

These are the security screws I used to mount my AVIC. Notice I used two different kind. I used two of the special Torx and two Spanner (AKA snake eyes). All of them are 3/4 inch long

This is my 12*12*1/4 ABS plastic sheet I used to fill in my sides

Another pic of the ABS plastic

Before filling in

After filling in

I used Gorilla glue and vice to hold the plastic together

Here is a pic of the front of the bezel. Notice I glued the side with the notches in it facing forward to give the Bondo something to hold to.

Here is a pic of the backside of the bezel with the ABS shown

Here is a close-up test fit

Here is a farther out test fit

Here are 3 with the Bondo filled in

Here are some after a few coats of flat black primer

Here are some test fits

Ive got to re-scuff it and put one more thin layer on and re-sand/re-prime and then all will be done. Hope you guys like it and hope some of you will try it.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Alpheus
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought one of these for 100 bucks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-DIN...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Alpheus; 03-26-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Damn buddy, thats some mighty fine work right there. You're the type of person that gets paid by this type of person to do this kinda thing. Maybe one day Ill give this a whirl.....

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
snidehockey
Rookie

I've been going back and forth for a while about doing this...

my goal is for a car PC w/ touchscreen, but being in IT the only part that I have any concerns w/ is the screen mounting. I don't really want a flip out, or it sitting on the dash. I might buy an extra bezel and work on it so that I don't wreck the main one.

Thanks for your info though...looks really well done.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Alpheus
I just bought one of these for 100 bucks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-DIN...Q5fAccessories
Ive seen those but they never actually SHOW the bezel. Plus if that is what it looks like in the picture then it wouldnt exactly blend with my dash either. Or course you could always scuff it and paint it I guess. Let me know how well you like that piece.

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
Damn buddy, thats some mighty fine work right there. You're the type of person that gets paid by this type of person to do this kinda thing. Maybe one day Ill give this a whirl.....
Before I did it I was a bit scared to try it because it seemed like a lot of work but it really is not. I really dont know how it could have been easier.

Originally Posted by snidehockey
I've been going back and forth for a while about doing this...

my goal is for a car PC w/ touchscreen, but being in IT the only part that I have any concerns w/ is the screen mounting. I don't really want a flip out, or it sitting on the dash. I might buy an extra bezel and work on it so that I don't wreck the main one.

Thanks for your info though...looks really well done.
I had a flip out and although it was nice, I just lost interest in a flip out and did not want to have mechanical issues out of it later on. But there is a thread where bwhite757 did all of what you are thinking in his truck. Here is a LINK to it.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
sooners_ou

That looks Great..

Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Its getting painted when it arrives. I have a Double Din DVD player that came out of my old car that I was gonna sell until someone pointed that bezel out in another thread. I emailed the guy and He sold me one for 100 bucks shipped so I figured what the hell I spend more than that on coffee in a month and I just quit drinking coffee.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Yeah... that's more work than I'd want to bite off myself. I'd rather just pay someone $100 - 200. But, it looks really good. Still considering replacing the MyGig.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old post, But i wanted to search instead of bug people.

Anyways- The center bezel (The radio/AcHeat control bezel) Does this just pop off? I want to take mine off but i don't want to bust anything up like an idiot.

Anyone?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by mopar6spd
I know this is an old post, But i wanted to search instead of bug people.

Anyways- The center bezel (The radio/AcHeat control bezel) Does this just pop off? I want to take mine off but i don't want to bust anything up like an idiot.

Anyone?
There is a single screw under the hook on the bottom right of the center console. Unscrew it and then pull the entire console piece out. Unplug your harnesses and the lower pocket and AC controls come out with it. Now if you want to remove the center bezel after removing the center console then you need to get a drill with a bit about 1/4-3/8 and gently and slowly drill out the several plastic welds on the back of the center bezel which holds it to the console peice. That makes it easier to work with and then you can unscrew the four screw that hold the lower pocket and AC controls to it.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram Double DIN install (pic intensive)