Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Infinity Sound System - Why So Special?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcss8541
Infinity speakers are "tailored" to a specific type of audio system. If you pull one of the speakers you will notice a batery pack looking object at the rear by the magnet. That's the mini amp. Now some automakers have a factory amp that will push these speakers and it's usually hidden somewhere either in the rear of the dash or on the floorboard at the bottom of the dash. There's this square looking cover with two phillip's head screws at the bottom of my dash at the floorboard under the foldout cupholders. I don't know what's behind it but this would be a good place for 1. They don't interfere but it requires a certain amount of power from the head unit to push them to make them sound good. Infinity speakers are good speakers but when they go bad they sound like trash....almost like an AM station. If your's are bad then replace them with speakers that will sound good with an after market head unit and will also handle a good 3 or 4 channel amp if should want to upgrade it later and not have to change out your speakers to handle the additional power.
OK, that I can understand. I don't know if I have a real need to add an amp later, but I'll keep it in mind. Probably not, but I may replace the speakers in the system.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
audioaddict
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll want to replace the speakers, while the Infinity and Infinity Gold are Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep's premium audio packages, it's still a paper cone woofer and an under-powered factory amplifier. Now I believe there's a bit of mis-information in this thread, the speakers do not have 'mini-amps'. Independant amplifiers are generally seen in Acura and Nissan Bose audio packages, but to the best of my knowledge, Infinity has never done individually amped speakers. There is an amplifier that runs in line between the head unit and the speakers. The amp is easily integrated with an aftermarket head unit and speakers, or bypassed all together to add a quality mulit-channel amplifier.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by audioaddict
You'll want to replace the speakers, while the Infinity and Infinity Gold are Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep's premium audio packages, it's still a paper cone woofer and an under-powered factory amplifier. Now I believe there's a bit of mis-information in this thread, the speakers do not have 'mini-amps'. Independant amplifiers are generally seen in Acura and Nissan Bose audio packages, but to the best of my knowledge, Infinity has never done individually amped speakers. There is an amplifier that runs in line between the head unit and the speakers. The amp is easily integrated with an aftermarket head unit and speakers, or bypassed all together to add a quality mulit-channel amplifier.
THANK YOU! It's about time someone who can render a complete, coherent response comes along. By chance is the amp located atop the transmission hump?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM
caryabhi11

I like Infinity Sound system very much.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Well, after perusing the Crutchfield catalog I decided to go with the Clarion CZ209 CD Receiver and Kicker 07DS600 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way Car Speakers for the door panels. I hate the way the paper speakers vibrate, and I would eventually like to upgrade the tweeters and rear speakers.

The one aspect of the replacement tweeters that I didn't like is that it appears they are to be surface mounted. Can't replacements be installed in the door like the current tweeters?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
audioaddict
Professional

Something like this?
Name:  _MG_9835.jpg
Views: 5926
Size:  54.7 KB

If this is what you're talking about, you need to purchase a set of component speakers that come with the woofer, tweeter and a cross over. These are a set of Alpine Type R Components that I have in my truck, and they sound great!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Gary-L
Legend

^^ Yes, that is what I am talking about; however, the SLT has tweeters at the top of the door panel like this:

Maybe I'm having a dipshiat moment and the replacement tweeter will install in the stock location and I can just chuck the surface mounted grille.

I would like to replace the material that covers the slots on the door panel. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
audioaddict
Professional

That would work well, generally you don't want to have the tweeter more than 6"-8" from the tweeter for optimal sound staging. The tweeter doesn't have to be top mounted, it can go into factory provisions without too much work.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Gary-L
Legend

My system arrived last night and tonight my son and I installed it in the truck. Crutchfield has great instructions once I figured out which wires were non-essential, although I'm still trying to figure out how they concluded that the Ram has a wire braid for the ground tucked into the dash.

I got everything soldered, heat shrunk, and powered up. WOW!

The sound out of the stock speakers was tinny and far away. I adjusted all of the parameters for sound with the super butt kicking bass and everything else and about have the volume set to 32 out of 33, which is the maximum, and the volume level is where I can hear it.

Seems to me that the Infinity speakers don't mesh well with a decent head unit, unless I did something wrong. I can't wait to get some tweeters and read speakers and then replace them all. If I have to get an amp, then that's what I'll do.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
audioaddict
Professional

It's hard to mess up honestly, the Infinity packages are one of the easiest amps I've ever come across to integrate with. You should get a much better sound out of a set of good coaxial or component speakers. Remember though, your speakers aren't designed to handle all that bass. Once you start introducing boosted bass and mid-bass frequencies, you also introduce distortion. The little cone simply can't handle frequencies below 120hz like a dedicated subwoofer can. My advice, if you're looking for a good sound out of your truck, invest in a small subwoofer and amp. Doesn't have to be anything earth-shattering, just a couple hundred watts and an 8" or 10" woofer. Then, set up a high-pass/lowpass filter where freqencies from 120hz and above will be handled by your door and panel speakers, and below that point handled by the subwoofer. This will help to eliminate any distortion caused by overdriving the bottome end of your speakers and will help to round out your over all tone.

Quick Reply: Infinity Sound System - Why So Special?