Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Infinity Sound System - Why So Special?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM
bigfoot0300
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know why my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 infinity stereo keeps cutting out. Head unit stays powered but no sound half the time. Doesn't seem to be vibration causing it, can happen while parked. Where is the amp installed? heard it was behind the glove compartment or might be individuals on speakers. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by bigfoot0300; 08-19-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
audioaddict
Professional

Yes, amp is behind the glove box and you've got to tear apart the entire lower dash to get to it. Not hard to do, just make sure you keep track of the 40 or so screws that you have to remove, it's a bit of a PITA. If you're losing sound to all of your speakers, I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with the individual speakers. Sounds to me like you've got a faulty amplifier or something is wrong internally on the factory radio. See if you can get yourself a different radio (either another factory or aftermarket) and swap out the head unit and see if it is still doing it. If it solves the problem, then the issue was in the original radio. If it's still doing it, then the issue is in the amplifier and you'll either have to replace it or bypass it.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 PM
DakotaGuy97
Default Infinity System

This is totally off subject but are the factory Infinity speakers in a 1997 Dodge Dakota 4 ohm or 2 ohm. I hear that they are 2 ohm, but others say that are 4 ohm?? Which is correct? I recently purchased the Infinity Kappa 62.9i for the front doors and those are 2 ohm. I just wanna make sure they will work and perform like the stock ones. Many people say they will.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:30 PM
kkt

Two audio installers here said it would cost me $1000+ to upgrade the "radio" in my truck. I have the Infinity system and all I want is a system that will allow me to bluetooth my phone and play my music in my truck. both installers said the speakers are digital and required a complete replacement. Sounds like bullhockey to me. I need advice on what I can install that will integrate with the speakers now. the system I have right now was only installed early in 2005 and has the awful CD based navigation system in it. the display screen is horrible, cd player is horrible and has no audio inputs or bluetooth. I want that out and something simple, sounds good with my speakers, inexpensive bluetooth solution. Any recommendations or explanation as to why the installers here in Memphis said what they did? I know nothing about audio. I know what speakers are and I call what is in the dash a "radio" haha. Educate me.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by kkt
Two audio installers here said it would cost me $1000+ to upgrade the "radio" in my truck. I have the Infinity system and all I want is a system that will allow me to bluetooth my phone and play my music in my truck. both installers said the speakers are digital and required a complete replacement. Sounds like bullhockey to me. I need advice on what I can install that will integrate with the speakers now. the system I have right now was only installed early in 2005 and has the awful CD based navigation system in it. the display screen is horrible, cd player is horrible and has no audio inputs or bluetooth. I want that out and something simple, sounds good with my speakers, inexpensive bluetooth solution. Any recommendations or explanation as to why the installers here in Memphis said what they did? I know nothing about audio. I know what speakers are and I call what is in the dash a "radio" haha. Educate me.
Since you have resurrected an almost 10 year old thread, my first question, obviously, is what vehicle are you referring to? Andf is your current system factory or aftermarket?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 PM
kkt

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. Sorry about resurrecting the thread. I didn't want to create a new one unnecessarily

Old 01-10-2018, 01:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Have you looked into Crutchfield.com? They can provide you with everything you need to integrate an aftermarket head unit to your stock system.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM
kkt

Thank you. They had just what I needed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infinity Sound System - Why So Special?