Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Adding iPod/aux interface to OEM head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
crazy4rc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding iPod/aux interface to OEM head unit

I have an 2005 1500 RAM QC Laramie with OEM Infinity 6 CD head unit - non nav. It's kind of oval shaped and only has one *** (volume/on/off), everything else is push buttons, and steering wheel controls. Sorry I don't know how to ID the radio beyond this, hope there's only one like it that year.

I am okay with the system as it for now, just would like to add an aux input. Preferably a two channel input that can accept an iPod and the second channel I would hook to my Garman Nuvi unit. Don't need both to work simultaneously.

I have seen a couple interfaces on the market, but want some feedback on which is the best and why. Also don't have a service manual, so if anyone can help me with the sheets on how to get into the dash to do the install, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by crazy4rc; 04-06-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
crazy4rc

Anyone????

This is one of the interfaces I was looking at:
http://retailer.installationexcellen...hicleid=213740

Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
crazy4rc

And the other option:

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

I installed one of these in a corvette once a couple years ago. It worked okay, but I remember not being 100% satisfied, but don't remember why. I guess is was not that big a deal or I would have remembered....

Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
scottiedog

I ended up using the GROM iPod adapter, if you have a 5th gen or older iPod its only $55 for the kit and works very well with the standard head unit. Your second audio input isn't available with the Grom, I was going to go this route initially, but since I always listen to music while using the navigation I didn't see the need.

Neo ProLInk is one of the best adapters, $200 its expensive but if you want to have the best its a good unit. The other two, no idea, I had a friend who used the PA11-CHR and he hated the sound quality. Never heard it myself so I cannot comment, I'd be surprised if it was that bad.

I did a small install write up which you might find useful....

http://www.scottiedog.com/2009/04/do...-ipod-install/

Last edited by scottiedog; 04-09-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding iPod/aux interface to OEM head unit