Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New HU, Sub & Amp Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Paul_Aris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HU, Sub & Amp Question

I am looking to upgrade my stereo. I want to replace the head unit to get ipod input. Also, usually my thinking goes like this. " Replacing stereo with a nice new head unit I should probably replace the speakers to get full advantage of it". While typically when you upgrade stock speakers with ones that fit in the those locations you get beater power and sound but loose some bass in the process. So I am thinking I need to fit a sub somewhere in the truck. I am looking to spend around $500 so this is what I am thinking.

My Truck is: 2005 Dodge Dakota Club cab with the Jump seats. I need to be able to use these seat for my boys and not loose to much storage or cab.

I am thinking of purchasing these items:

Dual XHD7714 Has ipod controls USB AUX and HD radio

Pioneer Premier TS-A633P in all 4 locations, unless I should consider a 2-way in at least 2 locations

Kicker Comp 07C104 10" 4-ohm subwoofer

and using my existing amp that is collecting dust on the shelf. It is a vintage Harmon Kardon CA240.

I want to use the amp to drive the sub only. I am thinking using the mono mode. If I read this right I should get 100 watts at 4 ohms in mono. Will this work with the kicker sub above? Here are the specs on the Amp:

40 watts per channel into 4 ohms 20-20,000 Hz
50 watts per channel into 2 ohms 20-20,000 Hz
100 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms 20-20,000 Hz

HCC +- 25A
negative feedback 25 DB
Power Bandwidth 10Hz to 100,000Hz
Freq Response 10Hz to 100,000Hz +0 -3 dB
http://www.retrevo.com/search/v2/jsp...o.jsp?page=man

I was wondering if the sub could be mounted in the floor under the seat or in between the two jump seats? Or I could try my hand at building a MDF sub box to fit between the 2 jump seats. I am thinking a down firing box. I want a 10" sub because I listen to new rock, 90's rock, classic rock and country. Not much R&B or Rap.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 AM
audioaddict
Professional

DON'T BUY DUAL!!!! Dude, I can't tell you how many customers I get every week that bring me the dual that they buy at Wal-Mart across the street and come back to me 2 weeks later saying that they hate the unit. Get something that you won't want to beat to pieces within a week and save yourself the time and agrivation. Not a big fan of Kicker, but some people like them. They're more for SPL than SQ, but to each their own. The amp that you are talking about should work, but you'll need to throw some sort of low pass filter in there, because it's going to sound very muddy and distorted if you have a full range signal going to a woofer. As far as your enclosure goes, get creative. It's your truck, and the only limitations that you have are the ones you impose on yourself. You've said that space is important, so build a small sealed enclosure to fiit between the seats (or where ever you decide to tuck it). Just be sure that there's at least 3" or so of clearance above the woofer to allow for the woofer to flex without hitting anything.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Paul_Aris

Thanks for the help. I never had a kicker before it is just I am on a budget. Maybe a Rockford Fosgate woud be a better choice. As far as the Dual. I am warned so will probably look at kenwood. They seem to have the most RMS watts. I do have a cheap dual in my silverado I got from Crutchfield 3 years ago with aux input. It is still running strong. I didn't hear about all the problems until lately.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 AM
audioaddict
Professional

Kenwood makes a pretty good product, I've got a KDC-MP638u in my truck right now. It's good enough, and the iPod interface is simple enough to use, but Kenwoods can be a little glitchy. My faceplate sometimes just shuts off all on its own and you've got to punch the source button to get it to come back on. Rockford and Alpine are two great options, I've owned both and have been incredibly pleased. The Fosgate P1 subs and the Alpine Type E's both sound great when paired with the appropriate enclosure, and are relativley inexpensive. The P1's go for around $100 a piece, about 150 watts rms and are a single 4ohm voice coil sub, and the Type E runs right around $150, will handle 250 watts rms, and again are a sigle 4 ohm voice coil speaker. Another option is the Pioneer Champion series subwoofers which will do 400 watts rms and are right around the same cost.

Last edited by audioaddict; 04-27-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: New HU, Sub & Amp Question