Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Front row middle seat as a sub box in 03 QC Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 PM
ALLSTOCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front row middle seat as a sub box in 03 QC Ram?

Would taking out the front row middle seat in my 2003 Quad Cab and make that space into a custom subwoofer box be a good idea?

My local stereo shop said that putting subs under the seats in the quad cab would not sound good. The subs need to be in a bigger box so that the air can move around to sound more louder and solid. Is this true??

I have a couple of friends that took out their front row middle seats and made it into a sub box. One of my friends said that he had two 10's (MTX Stealth Box) under the QC seats with the box but it didnt sound good. He went thru the time and money to get the front middle seats removed and a custom box installed with one 12" sub JL V2. He claims that with his current sub box set up, the bass quality is way better. This statement gotta be true. Do you think?

I kinda dont want to loose that front middle seat because it has those cool storage compartments and extra DC output.
thanks alot

ALLSTOCK

Old 03-26-2005, 03:38 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: Front row middle seat as a sub box in 03 QC Ram?

Boxes and speakers need to be matched. There are a few companies out there that make "small encolosure" speakers. The only ones that comes to mind is the JL and Kicker Solobaric. I have seen guys put in a 15" sub in a box no bigger than the one that it was shipped in and wonder why it did hit hard. Kind of expensive way of doing it is to build the box then figure out how much cubic inches it is and then select a sub(s) that fits the space. IMO a couple a smaller (10") sound better than a single 12", for bass volume the more speaker area the more bass you will have. Then you also have to figure out what you are looking for. Something that sounds balanced or for bass attack. Hope this has helped you. Isnt designing a system a pain hahaha.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:07 AM
ALLSTOCK

Thanx for the reply. Im more than likely will take out the front middle seat.
thanks again

ALLSTOCK

Old 03-27-2005, 01:44 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Never mind under rear seat. I thought JL made a center seat replacement, but it is only for the old body style.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 AM
12voltkid

JL is workin on one if not done. These work awesome Usually they contain a 8" powered driver I put one in a Ford King Ranch and it sound'd amazing

Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM
curiousgangstar

your stereo people are right. if you look up what types of subsyou have ,you will see they have to have a certian amout of cubic ft space to sound good. if you have to little they will sound like there bottoming out or to much you might of well boughtsome open air subs because they'll sound bland.this one guy made his own box for the center seat. if you do something like this you can have almost the stock look your looking for and the right space thats needed. but if you go with the prefabed center boxs you start getting limited on space again but it look more factory specs. most are .73 cubic feat and the average for a nice twelve is 1.25 qubic feet. so hares a link if you interested https://dodgeforum.com/m_380031/tm.htm. hes a member of this forum and you can always make it look a little better then he did. but its pretty nice for the space you need

Quick Reply: Front row middle seat as a sub box in 03 QC Ram?