Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

03 Ram Factory deck cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 Ram Factory deck cutting out

I posted this in the Ram section, but didn't get much response, so I will try it here.

I have an 03 Ram with the factory Infinity 7 speaker system. For how often I use the truck, I am really not interested in upgrading anything other than the speakers, which I have already done.

Here is my problem. I am losing all power to the deck. At first it was very occasional and intermittent, now it is almost 100% of the time.

Also, when there is no power to the deck, my keyless entry does not work either. I have checked the fuses and they all seem to be fine, so I think there may be something wrong with the deck itself, or wiring to it.

My specific questions:

1. Are there any other fuses I should check before going into the deck itself?

2. Is there a way to check for power to the deck from a connection in the back of the deck?

3. Does keyless entry run through the deck?

4. If I have power to the deck, I would probably try to replace with a used factory deck just like it. Would this create a problem with the programming of my key fobs? Would it be plug and play?

I am happy with the system I have, I am just looking for a way to fix it without spending a ton at the stealership. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 AM
audioaddict
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Power
My specific questions:

1. Are there any other fuses I should check before going into the deck itself?

2. Is there a way to check for power to the deck from a connection in the back of the deck?

3. Does keyless entry run through the deck?

4. If I have power to the deck, I would probably try to replace with a used factory deck just like it. Would this create a problem with the programming of my key fobs? Would it be plug and play?

I am happy with the system I have, I am just looking for a way to fix it without spending a ton at the stealership. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1.) If the issue were a fuse, you would not have intermittent power to the deck/keyless entry system. It would either be on (good fuse) or off (blown fuse).

2.) Yes. The three wires you'll need to check are:

+12v Constant - Pink (shows +12v DC regardless of key position)
Chasis Ground - Black/Green
+12v Switched - Brown/Red (shows +12v DC when key is on ACC & Run, drops to 0v during starter crank and when key is off)

3.) Shouldn't. Dodge didn't start using their CANBUS system in the Ram pickups until 2005, so the radio circuit should be isolated from the keyless and other convenience systems of the truck.

4.) OEM relacment equipment should be a pretty straight forward job, and as mentioned before, it should not share any wiring or data connectivity with the factory keyless or the immobilizer, so you should be ok.

If the keyelss entry system is not working sperratically, I would go through with a multimeter and check out what circuits are getting power when the system is working imporperly, and that will at least get you a starting point for your troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram Factory deck cutting out