Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Big Radio Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Radio Problem!!!

Okay, well as some of you might know, I have been having some problems with my Clarion head unit, its lost video signal twice and the first time it took 6 months to get fixed. It did it again, and Ive been riding around with no screen, not being able to change stations and stuff until they work with me on something.

Well now I was putting in some 3.5s in my dash and when I pulled the unit out, the power wire pulled from the harness and hit a piece of metal on the dash. No biggie, right? Blew three fuses, changed all of them out, and guess what? the radio wont freaking work, wont turn on or anything

And on top of that, I took the negative side off trying to reset it and my Craftsman dogbone wrench fell onto the positive terminal, and guess who instinctively grabbed it so it wouldn't hit the paint? 12 volts through my palm

WTF could be my problem? Could it have blown something in the radio or something? Is there some kind of reset procedure with the aftermarket HUs?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have another vehicle you could test the HU on? That would rule out a couple variables. If the power wire was off the radio when it shorted the other fuses, then the radio should not have been affected. Are there any other strange electrical issues now? Will your powerlocks, keyfob work and the door still ding with the keys in the ignition, that kinda stuff? This is why I always work on truck with the negative off before I start.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Matt99
Champion

well joe, I had to have to radio on so I could test the speakers...

and no problems anywhere else, when the fuses blew it said noFUSE under the odometer but thats gone now...and if I wanted to test the radio out, I would have to get a new wiring harness and all that

Old 05-07-2010, 10:52 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt99
well joe, I had to have to radio on so I could test the speakers...

and no problems anywhere else, when the fuses blew it said noFUSE under the odometer but thats gone now...and if I wanted to test the radio out, I would have to get a new wiring harness and all that
No need for a whole new harness to just test if it turns on. you just need 3 wires to see if it will power up, red for constant power, black for ground, and yellow for ignition power. Just look for a pinout of the test vehicles radio harness and shove the wires from the HU into the corresponding harness plug location.

nateroach

Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Matt99
Champion

hmm I might bring it up to my audio shop and get them to test it....this stuff pisses me off

Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
mike_r
Professional

Take a volt meter to it and see if you have +12 on red and yellow when the ignition is on. That would rule out everything except the head unit.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Matt99
Champion

good idea mike, ill go try that

Old 05-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Matt99
Champion

Okay both power and constant have power, a good 12+ volts. I guess its the radio

Now im wondering if some kind of security thing is set

Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

does it have a reset button on the back that you can press?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
rocket23
Champion

Good point silver, however it has been my experience that most of my radio problems were internal. Matt what are the odds that you just got a lemon, and it took awhile to reveal itself. just asking. I really don't know the first thing on an aftermarket install. All my expertise has been in outside wiring without the dash being in the way,

Quick Reply: Big Radio Problem!!!