Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

truckputer

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, so i have this HP Pavillion Slimline with a 500gb harddrive, 4gb ram, Dual core 2800 running on Windows 7. The sound card is mediocre and the video card would need an upgrade and prob would need a better power supply, which I do have, just gotta install it. I'm aware of the delayed start features, gps reciever...etc, I just don't know wtf i would need to get this going in the truck to produce the sound i currently have running off of my Rockford360.2 sound processor which has 168bands of Eq adjustment(1/3 octave)
How do you have your speakers hooked up? I'm just not familiar with how guys get their sound delay and EQ functions all worked out without a bunch of outputs on their sound card? Most cards have like no outputs and certainly don't accept rca's? Seperate sound box?

I can get my hands on a 7", 9" or 10" touchscreen, but I'd prob stick with a 7".

Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
OK, so i have this HP Pavillion Slimline with a 500gb harddrive, 4gb ram, Dual core 2800 running on Windows 7. The sound card is mediocre and the video card would need an upgrade and prob would need a better power supply, which I do have, just gotta install it. I'm aware of the delayed start features, gps reciever...etc, I just don't know wtf i would need to get this going in the truck to produce the sound i currently have running off of my Rockford360.2 sound processor which has 168bands of Eq adjustment(1/3 octave)
How do you have your speakers hooked up? I'm just not familiar with how guys get their sound delay and EQ functions all worked out without a bunch of outputs on their sound card? Most cards have like no outputs and certainly don't accept rca's? Seperate sound box?

I can get my hands on a 7", 9" or 10" touchscreen, but I'd prob stick with a 7".
Dammit, the wheels in your head are turning just like mine!! The wife has a 10" netbook I bought for her some time back ($200 new) and they make touchscreen add-on kits (about $60). I can separate the screen from the other half of the laptop and mount it with a bezel and extend the cables between the two so the lower have can be hidden somewhere. I can put a BT (USB) dongle in the laptop USB port and use a BT keyboard and mouse if i ever wanted to. I could install and USB hub and Ethernet cable and mount them with a PnP coupler or just hide them away some where. The internal HDD can be swapped out for a much bigger one (dirt cheap now-a-days). You can get a 1tb 2.5 HDD for around $100 +/-

I can wifi tether my Droid X so that would take care of the internet issue.

I already have a power inverter in the truck and the screen can be integrated into the custom center console I'm already planned anyway.

Dirty, why not take the 3.5mm sound output and just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable? Most newer PCs have those now-a-days, If you dont then time to ebay one bro!

I could do this project dirt cheap. I dont need navi as my HU already has it. OBD scanner on ebay are cheap I could do my Trinity via USB to the on-board PC and run the Diablo software to see everything.

Sounds like I got a new project....LOL

Originally Posted by strych9
yeah i have verizon now, "dumb" phone though. Ill get a discount for being a slave for the last 8 years. I also heard that motorola might try to release a new phone before the tegra 2 release, and might be pushed to Q1. but i like to hope it will be Q4. i also wanted to try to get on a data plan before the tier B.S. And claim im grandfathered in. Ive already rehersed my wtf speech to verizon for the "unlimited data plan" which is not really unlimited. its like 5 gb a month. I look threw 5gb of **** a day (cheaper than more kids). i couldnt make that last a month. id go for killing the phone plan, and just having a data plan. I barely use my phone as is(40-60 minutes a month). i just know ill regret getting a phone now, just to see the clock speeds double in the next few months. I know it will always be a better one around the corner, but ill feel better waiting.

nvidia is already working on tegra 4
I dont need 5.1 or 7.1 in the truck and HD video is not need either as the screen are so small (less than 10"), HD wont serve a useful purpose.

See, I dont have the 5gb cap because I have had a data plan for so long. I am at 8gb on my device and my wife is at almost 7gb. We have half exactly have way through out billing cycle. i already know I am getting the Archos 10" Android tablet for Xmas and it is wifi only so i will use my Droid X to do wifi tethering for it also.

Last edited by weedahoe; 10-22-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM
strych9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last car i had the pc hooked up to an amp via multible ports on my sound card(no head unit). But the hd radio box i bought to add radio wasnt that good, the reception just wasnt up to par. The stock radio(infinity 7 speaker) reception in this truck works perfect, so i just got a pia "CHRY02AUX" box which adds rca ports to the stock head unit, i just do as weed said and use a headphone to rca adapter(5 bucks). it replaces the optional 6 disc changer. I havent found a company than can make a good am/fm reciever for a computer that is always moving, your better off running the am/fm threw a head unit. as for the powersupply try looking at the "opus solutions" 360watt dc to dc. it has all the delayed start and shutdown built in, it will aslo delay the start and shutdown of your amps too. pretty neat dc-dc power supply(no inverter needed).

a netbook probibly wouldnt need anything but the "aux box" which you dont need,and a car power adapter id think. save those inverter ports for the coffee maker, As for an obd reader. make sure it has a real elm 327 chip installed in it. some of those clone readers have different chips in them, and wont read some cars, like dodge who has 2 ecu's in it. the reader will not be able to figure which to connect too. obd pro's has a bluetooth based obd reader for like 120 bucks that id suggest to you weed, there is a few droid apps that it can connect too, so you would be able to connect directly to your phone, and pc. the "wired" obd2 readers need a com port splitter software to be able to run 2 different obd programs(same for gps). ******* instrument cluster on a phone would be cool. id have the phone do rpm and mph, while the pc does all the timing temp etc. basicly more room for more guages, i have 3 pages of guages. poet didnt even no-it.

cant say "virt-ual"?

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
strych9

am I too late to get grandfathered in to the data plan weed? because it still says "unlimited plan" on verizons website. no tier B.S. Id like to know when the tier crap is starting. because id get a phone today if tier starts tomorrow. fk tegra if thats the case. also did you get the teathering plan, or did you "root" your phone like i plan to?

Last edited by strych9; 10-22-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

No, Vir-tual is another dodge website that rivals us. Can't say dodge-talk either.

The main problem about converting a single 3.5mm to RCA split is the signal. First off, that would be a lousy 1v if that output, then you have no fader/balance options.
My RF360.2 sound processor, I have the front speakers set-up with a completely different equailizer program than the back which are rear-fill and see only midbass up to 500hz.
Also, the time delay, I have each speaker delayed differently so that the time alignment is perfect so the sound gets to my ears at the same time. I could live without that, but i couldn't live without a fader because i hate unbalanced stereo's. With the regular sound, the driver rear speaker is directly behind my left ear and turning it down would make the pas side rear speaker useless. This thing has 168 bands of frequency control, it's unreal and i refuse to give it up without replacing it with a comparable set-up. I would assume tear my whole system out and go back to stock if that were the case. All or none IMO.

I guess understanding where I'm coming from is hard to understand until you spoil yourself with the equailizer that i currently have. I know there are ways as most guys that do this, do it for extended EQ control and sound. I suppose I'll have to throw up a thread over in DIYMA.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Dirty, are you still using EQ I sent you? How do you like that thing? Too bad I never got a real chance to use it.

Strych9 - those are some great ideas. No need for an OBD scanner for me as my Trinity can do everything I need.

As for the tiered data starting, better hurry although it looks like they are keeping their unlimited data plans (unlike AT&T) so you should be ok either way.

Verizon Tiered Data Expected October 28th

I do not have tethering plans on either of my phones. I have just data plans at $30 a phone. My wife uses PDAnet to connect via USB to her netbook and I use Barnicle WiFi tether if I choose to do so..

This is the first info and picture I have seen come along for a Verizon LTE device

Leaked High-End Verizon LG Android Phone Features LTE, Huge Screen, Lots Of Logos

Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 AM
strych9

my motherboard can turn its other 2-3.5mm ports into outgoing audio. and realtek software to set fade and delay. a total of 3 3.5mm splitters can give you 6 speakers. I did that in my last car. i hooked the sound card directly to my amps. it worked pretty good, except for the am/fm and the fact that i was 5 miles down the road before the pc finnished booting. Im sure that most sound cards are able to be the equailizer you want. But beware if you have a computer as your only source of audio, If you ever have an issue, you have to listen to road noise until the computer is fixxed. my commute was 120 miles a day last year, the solid state hard drive died on me. it took me 2 weeks to get a replacement drive(s). 3 hours of commuting a day for 2 weeks with no audio was horrible. thats another reason I decided to keep factory heead unit. (dont get ocz ssd's, rma is near impossible).

as for the tier phone plans, thx 4 the links weed. although, I assumed that verizon was getting rid of the unlimited plan. i like that it will still be there. it seems like their 150mb is just to fool people into thinking the plans are cheaper. but i dont see how any one could stay below the 150mb mark. poor suckers are going to get the cheap plan w a 2 year contract. then realize that they are getting overcharge bill every month. as long as the unlimited stays 30 bills or less, ill be happy. as for a phone itself, Ive been following this lg/motorola tegra 2 race. and the first to the finish line gets my loot. that lg one looks sweet, almost cant wait to accidently run it over with a bobcat or excavator (seems like the fate of all my phones). I hope it is aluminum! my gzone boulder has been the most durable phone ive had, i watched it fall out of my pocket while doing 80mph on the street bike, it skipped for about a half mile. and she still works. im gonna have to be smart about my smartphone. maby a steel case

sry i can ramble, i did delete a paragraph of nonsence

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

My sis and brother in lay both have iphone 4's with a 200mb limit. IDK how they do it or enjoy their phones. I mean all they can do is use it for a phone and take pics. Where is the fun in that? I like getting on the net, doing my navigation when Im out of town, streaming online stations and watching youtube. All of my pics and vids get uploaded and there are other things to do. Having such a small limited amount of data usage is retarded IMO.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM
strych9

exactly, its like getting a viper with a 4 cylinder. all flash, no go.

Quick Reply: truckputer