Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Removing cubby under back seat?? Or squeeze 6x9 in rear doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing cubby under back seat?? Or squeeze 6x9 in rear doors

Hey All,

I was looking at building a speaker box for under my back seats. In this box I want 6x9's for now...maybe upgrade to subs later. So I need the speakers to face towards the back of the front seats and there is not enough height between the cubby and bottom of seat when lowered...I was feeling around and it seems this is hollowed plastic or something and may be easy to remove so I can make a more custom speaker box/storage unit. I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove this and if they have any words of wisdom or anything for me before I pull my carpet up and take a look for myself.

Also on a side note, I would almost rather put the 6x9 speakers in the back doors. Has anyone been able to do this without cutting the interior panel?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you could fit a shallow 6x9 in the rear door with some trimming.

the cubby is steel. no removing it. But I have 12s and they fit so I dont know why a 6x9 wouldnt. you could fit 6x9s behind the seat for sure though

Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt99
I think you could fit a shallow 6x9 in the rear door with some trimming.

the cubby is steel. no removing it. But I have 12s and they fit so I dont know why a 6x9 wouldnt. you could fit 6x9s behind the seat for sure though
Right, but 6x9 will have little to no affect if facing upwards when the seat is in the lower position...The foam from the seat will absorb most of the sound from baby 6x9s...10" or 12" will push through the seat. So I need the 6x9 to face outwards so sound can still travel when seat is down. And as far as shallow 6x9, I already have the speakers bought and they are 3 1/4" mounting depth and I did a make shift install under the back seat, cuz I didn't see how I was going to get them in the door, but now want to do a nicer setup, and figure maybe someone has discovered a trick that they may share that I can get these to work in the door. I don't mind cutting the door itself, but not the interior panel, as I want it to appear "unmolested"

Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could probably take a grinder or sawzall and cut a hole in the cubby area. Its a double wall I think, thats the only bad part

Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What kind of sound are you expecting from 6*9s UNDER the back seat?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
What kind of sound are you expecting from 6*9s UNDER the back seat?
Just better than factory speakers...I'd rather come up with a way to get them into the door, but the particualr speakers I bought, I don't think I will be able to do without cutting the interior panel, which I DO NOT want to do, so I did a make shift install into my home made floor level kit, and they keep getting in the way of my hitches and straps when I try to close it back down. This is getting irritating, so I was wanting to come up with a way to get them installed better so they aren't such a nusiance.

Again, I'd much rather get them in the door and am open to ideas for that, as I want to eventually upgrade to some subs under the seat.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, I gotcha. I put 6.5s in my doors. Most 6*9s will get hit when the window comes down or if they are too high in the front the door skin will not go back on.

I dont think under the seat is going to sound good. You will muffle out most of the high freq. Only low freq will pass through the seats. You will get some highs and mids but not nears as much as if they were in the door.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
Just better than factory speakers...I'd rather come up with a way to get them into the door, but the particualr speakers I bought, I don't think I will be able to do without cutting the interior panel, which I DO NOT want to do, so I did a make shift install into my home made floor level kit, and they keep getting in the way of my hitches and straps when I try to close it back down. This is getting irritating, so I was wanting to come up with a way to get them installed better so they aren't such a nusiance.

Again, I'd much rather get them in the door and am open to ideas for that, as I want to eventually upgrade to some subs under the seat.
The carpet layment is loose fitting. There is metal lining underneath that. There is more room, but not tons more.

Your going about it all wrong. You can have 100 so-so speakers and they will always sound so-so never more. They would be louder, but not sound better.
Your much better off spending money on a quality pair of front door speakers. A quality pair of door speakers properly mounted and amplified, will blow 100 so-so speakers out of the water.
Cars/trucks have terrible sound reproduction due to the small compact parameters and all of the various objects in the path of the music(including your legs/knee). Sound waves bounce all over the place and the more bounces you get, the more delayed certain sound get depending on the frequency. I can promise that if you put 2 pairs of 6x9's in the back they still won't sound as good as a quality set of door speakers. Not 6x9's. I'm talking about 6.5's. Obviously component is the best because the woofer doesn't have a hole cut into it for the tweeters and because you can aim the tweets so that the vocals are at a higher ear level than pointed at your legs/knees.

I've got a pair of Boston Pro's that I picked up used on Ebay. They sound awesome. I have Focal K2P 6.5" midbass in the rear doors. There is no vocal and the rear doors only get 75wrms each where as the fronts are getting 150wrms each side. I have the rears tuned so I cannot even tell they are on so the sound produced by the fronts dominates. The sound is exceptional.

You don't need to spend tons of money. i just want you to realize before you get even further that adding even quality sound in addition to factory stuff will sound bad! Don't do it. it's cheaper to buy one pair and power just one pair. You'll be much happier with lots less work! With the subs turned off, my fronts alone will thump my chest like crazy and blasts the mids/highs super clear. It destroys my wife's 7 speaker+sub Infinity stereo system that came in her car. All with just 2 little 6.5's.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ok, I gotcha. I put 6.5s in my doors. Most 6*9s will get hit when the window comes down or if they are too high in the front the door skin will not go back on.

I dont think under the seat is going to sound good. You will muffle out most of the high freq. Only low freq will pass through the seats. You will get some highs and mids but not nears as much as if they were in the door.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but since the quick install the seat has been folded up 99.9% of the time...but now I am wanting to make it better, and I want them to face outwards now, basically like pointed at the back of the front seat and angled up a bit...that is unless I can't get a better idea to get them into the door. They fit in the front door easily...the basket was a bit bigger than the factory speakers I took out, so they wouldn't even go in all the way to hit the window, but they also don't stick out far enough to mess with the door skin.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The carpet layment is loose fitting. There is metal lining underneath that. There is more room, but not tons more.

Your going about it all wrong. You can have 100 so-so speakers and they will always sound so-so never more. They would be louder, but not sound better.
Your much better off spending money on a quality pair of front door speakers. A quality pair of door speakers properly mounted and amplified, will blow 100 so-so speakers out of the water.
Cars/trucks have terrible sound reproduction due to the small compact parameters and all of the various objects in the path of the music(including your legs/knee). Sound waves bounce all over the place and the more bounces you get, the more delayed certain sound get depending on the frequency. I can promise that if you put 2 pairs of 6x9's in the back they still won't sound as good as a quality set of door speakers. Not 6x9's. I'm talking about 6.5's. Obviously component is the best because the woofer doesn't have a hole cut into it for the tweeters and because you can aim the tweets so that the vocals are at a higher ear level than pointed at your legs/knees.

I've got a pair of Boston Pro's that I picked up used on Ebay. They sound awesome. I have Focal K2P 6.5" midbass in the rear doors. There is no vocal and the rear doors only get 75wrms each where as the fronts are getting 150wrms each side. I have the rears tuned so I cannot even tell they are on so the sound produced by the fronts dominates. The sound is exceptional.

You don't need to spend tons of money. i just want you to realize before you get even further that adding even quality sound in addition to factory stuff will sound bad! Don't do it. it's cheaper to buy one pair and power just one pair. You'll be much happier with lots less work! With the subs turned off, my fronts alone will thump my chest like crazy and blasts the mids/highs super clear. It destroys my wife's 7 speaker+sub Infinity stereo system that came in her car. All with just 2 little 6.5's.

Yeah, I knew most of this...I have studied sound reproduction quite a bit. That's most of my problem. If I go all out and put in a whole new system, I have to have the best of the best of the best, and that adds up. I just wanted a simple upgrade to get better sound than I had. Back in high school all I had was amplified Infinity 6x9 in the rear and 5 1/4" in the doors, and in our little competition we had I took 3rd...beating out MANY people with subs, mostly cuz they didn't have them tuned very well, cuz they just wanted bump, not sound...Anyway, I was trying to pretty much recreate that system, except this time I have four Infinity 6x9...each in the doors, so I ordered them figuring I could make them work easily, but the rear doors were troublesome without cutting the panels...although I didn't try all that hard before I busted out the saber saw and cut into my OSB floor level kit and called it good.

Quick Reply: Removing cubby under back seat?? Or squeeze 6x9 in rear doors