Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Radio help for a newbie please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
chylly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio help for a newbie please!

Hey guys/gals. I have some questions regarding radios. I want to buy a new head unit for my 01 Ram 2500. It only has the stock radio in it right now. I'm not looking for some rediculous hi-tech radio or anything. I mainly just want one with a single cd player and the ability to pick up radio stations that are from a little farther away.

My question is what do I have to look for in a head unit that allows it to have these farther ranges to pick up other stations? Is it the watts? I mainly listen to the radio so I'm just looking for good clarity. What are the best brands? Thanks for any help anybody can give me

Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry but you cannot pick up a radio station further than the station can broadcast. Best thing for you to do may be is research and read some reviews on HU's

Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
chylly

What's HU's? Then why can let's say my dads radio pick up the station but mine can't?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion

head unit - hu

you really arn't going to find anything in the aftermarket that will guarantee a better fm tuner. Most companies just put the tuner in there as an afterthought.. You might wanna trace the antenna wiring in the vehicle make sure it's not pinched or cut in any location. Maybe look online for a factory radio because I can pretty much tell you an aftermarket won't be any better.

Quick Reply: Radio help for a newbie please!