Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Running Amp Wire Through Firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Running Amp Wire Through Firewall?

I'm installing a very expensive stereo in my 88' Dakota, currently trying to figure out the best way to get my amp power cable through the firewall. Since the battery is located on the drivers side that is the side I will be working with, I found a rubber grommet to the side of the steering column. You can see it here from under the hood behind that cable, the grommet is unused I am not sure why it is even there.
Name:  IMG_9767.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  146.7 KB

Here it is from in the cab (inside the circle), to the left of the steering column. Has anyone else ever used this location? I was going to run it through and to the center of the dash then right down the cetner of the cab between the seats with the RCA's to the rear of the cab.
Name:  IMG_9771.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9769.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  122.2 KB

Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
partyd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is for the clutch, you can cut it with a razor blade and use it for the power
wire

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by partyd
That is for the clutch, you can cut it with a razor blade and use it for the power
wire
I may look elsewhere so I don't have to move the location when I swap to a manual transmission in the near future.

So this is the cabling I went with check this out, it's called Kolossus Fleks Kable from Knukonceptz.com 1/0-gauge OFC(oxygen free copper) extremely flexible, really nice stuff I chose a black jacket so dirt and scuffs won't show on it under the hood:
Name:  IMG_0210.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  99.9 KB

Also of course a monstrous in-line fuse block, high grade plastic and plated metal components:
Name:  IMG_0212.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  92.9 KB

For size comparison I put a US quarter on the cable:
Name:  IMG_0207.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  100.3 KB

Also for size comparison I have other cables from my wire bin, these are your typical Walmart/auto-parts store cables and fuse blocks. The top is 8G then 6G, 4G and finally my 1/0G, absolutely everyone I know has a 6 or 4 gauge wire stretch with the small fuse block. I can't even tell you how many budget systems I have done for friends from local supplies:
Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  104.4 KB

Quick Reply: Running Amp Wire Through Firewall?