Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

What Amp?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
SPANKYSPL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Amp?!?!?!?!?

Since I am so nice, I have found a cheat sheet for those in the dark about some audio terms. Read AND learn.....

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/e...n/glossary.htm

Old 08-26-2005, 11:42 AM
ngsm13

ORIGINAL: alpine25

impedence rise, my friend, impedence rise
No ****, but that still doesn't account for running an UN-modified 2ohm stable amp @1ohm nominal daily

I mean, viper2500.1's are nice...but I've used a pair before...they'd take it for burps...but I wouldn't do it daily

NG

Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
ngsm13

If you want reliable info on car audio products, stick to car audio forums, not always a car audio portion of a car forum, OR seek out the individuals who do this for a living, and have some serious knowledge to back it up. Good test, What does R.M.S. ACTUALLY mean?
Agree 100%.

Root Mean Square

another good site is:
www.bcae1.com

Good Audio sites:
www.caraudio.com
www.soundsolutionsaudio.com
www.soundillusions.net

NG

Old 08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SPANKYSPL

9 times out of 10 when someone says "Brand x sucks"! what they really mean is "I/we did something wrong". There really are no brands out there that just out and out suck. Anyone can make the best product in the world sound horrible, on the other side of the coin, a very experienced installer can make entry level product sound unreal. For example we took a Mitsubishi Eclipse full of Digital Audio product (a division of Audiobahn) and took 3rd place in the USACi world finals for sound quality, yep it is true.
OK, ofcourse, Hifonics does not out right suck. It's just an expression.

And I didn't do anything wrong. My grandfather's stereo shop does my my stuff. They are the oldest and most trusted shop in Tallahassee. So I doubt they did anything wrong. When that crap blew, I brought it back and got all JL, and I never had a problem with it. Same set up, but JL lasted and Hifonics didn't.

Of course I now have a different car and a different set up.

But thanks for challenging my audio knowledge.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 PM
SPANKYSPL

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

And I didn't do anything wrong. My grandfather's stereo shop does my my stuff. They are the oldest and most trusted shop in Tallahassee. So I doubt they did anything wrong. When that crap blew, I brought it back and got all JL, and I never had a problem with it. Same set up, but JL lasted and Hifonics didn't.

Hold on there chief, YOUR audio knowledge, it looks like you just bought the stuff and had a shop install it, how does this signify YOUR knowledge? You know how to pay for the product, that does not count. I also do not recall "challenging" this "knowledge" maybe you are threatened by my knowledge and others like ngsm13.

Oh yeah, and did I state "The installer INSTALLED it wrong"? nope, the wrong in this case could be the person behind the volume **** trying to get inferior product to perform beyond its means, thus breaking it. For future reference read ALL of the wording in my post, then think about it before jumping to conclusions about my intent.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
ngsm13

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

Hold on there chief, YOUR audio knowledge, it looks like you just bought the stuff and had a shop install it, how does this signify YOUR knowledge? You know how to pay for the product, that does not count. I also do not recall "challenging" this "knowledge" maybe you are threatened by my knowledge and others like ngsm13.

Oh yeah, and did I state "The installer INSTALLED it wrong"? nope, the wrong in this case could be the person behind the volume **** trying to get inferior product to perform beyond its means, thus breaking it. For future reference read ALL of the wording in my post, then think about it before jumping to conclusions about my intent.
Very true. Personally, as I stated earlier...hifonics lower lines are "okay". They Brutus line...it's good for the money. The Gen XX line (Ultra D-class)...they are sweet. You can't deny the XX hercules, colossus, goliath, and maxximus aren't awesome powerhouse amplifiers.

Spanky...what audio forums do you regularly visit?

NG

Old 08-26-2005, 06:25 PM
SPANKYSPL

WWW.ZAPCO.COM
WWW.TERMPRO.COM
WWW.SOUNDOFF.ORG
WWW.SOUNDDOMAIN.COM

The forums attached to the aforementioned web sites I usually hop on.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't talking about my audio knowledge at all. Yes, I brought it to the shop and they installed it, but no I didn't buy it, it was free... But you implied that I must have done something wrong. So I let you know that I did not install it. You must have a hard time understanding what you read. Because you are taking what I said, very wrong.

And I'm not threatened by your knowledge, only by your assumptions. You seem to think you are inferrior over people. You have no idea about my knowledge about audio equipment. So I say to YOU, don't jump to conclusions. You seem to think that everyone here doesn't know what they are doing at all.

And no it wasn't me turning the volume **** to high. I did not break it. It was a freak blow.

And yes, my grandfathers stereo shop installed it. I know plenty about audio equipment. But if I have my grandfathers shop who will give me equipment for free and install it for free, why would I bother doing it myself, when I can have family who are professional do it?

I'll say it again, no one did anything wrong with installing or turning it up too loud. The amp just blew... It was a freak happening. Maybe it was a bad amp, maybe Hifonics could not get long with the Kickers. Who knows.... When I said Hifonics sucks, it was a joke, and expression...

Since then, I have had 3 other amps and 4 different sets of speakers. Nothing has blown since then and nothing has gone wrong. I know what I'm doing when it comes to that stuff.

And I did read all the words in your post. It sounds like YOU need to stop jumping to conclusions and assuming everyone just must be idiots.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:28 PM
SPANKYSPL

As originally posted by MidnightBlueNeon:

And I did read all the words in your post. It sounds like YOU need to
stop jumping to conclusions, "Mr. Audio Equipment God".

Why did you edit this out? You finally caved and showed how you truly view me, thanks.

Now once again, go back and read the posts young'n. I said 9 out of 10 (there is room for inaccuracy) you jumped back with claims you did nothing wrong. Sounds to me like a classic quilty conscience. Where you could have said "Good thing I was part of that 1 out of 10 that just had product failure" you implicated yourself.

Everything I have written is pretty clear, leaves nothing to the imagination, if I misconstrued any of your text, it must not have been too clear in the first place. I am assuming no one to be an idiot, you are allowing me (via my comments) to call you an idiot, that is your fault.Read back a few posts where I sent praise to ngsm13 for having (what I see) a depth of knowledge about car audio. No one else has been faulted. I think your feelings have been shaken and you can move on. Or keep posting, I have no problem chatting with and teaching the younger crowd.

Hold on a second, I almost forgot, you stated "You seem to think you are inferrior over people." Now this makes no sense, (other than it is INFERIOR) inferior expresses I feel I have no knowledge, so are you saying I feel I am an idiot?

"And I'm not threatened by your knowledge, only by your assumptions" So...I threaten you?????

and did you get the product from you Grandfathers shop for free, or just bring it to them (you made both statements)

Old 08-27-2005, 06:54 PM
undropped
Veteran

my experience with HiFonics has been great, i bought three of their amps in 96, and used them up until about a year ago when i sold them on ebay, and used the earnings to but a nice big Hifonics Zues to push my PPI flat piston pro, with no distortion, no noise, nothing. I have been more than satisfied with their products.

But like spankyspl said the install and component selection is the more important thing.

take your time, check the numbers, beware of those 1500W amps for 29.99, (the only way to get that much out of them is under IFLS power)

If F****** Lightning Strikes

and that with 8% distortion