Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Need a good location for wiring harness ground- '99 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a good location for wiring harness ground- '99 Ram

Hi guys, I was test-fitting my completed harness (which includes the aftermarket harness required for the factory connectors), and I'm wondering since I have to have a separate ground for the radio, where would be a good place to make one? I can almost reach the top of the dash with said ground wire, and I also noticed a bare metal area just deep of the radio mounting hole. btw this ground wire is coming from the radio's harness, not the aftermarket one (which is a Scosche fyi). Thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Any solid and bare metal is good. You can always use a meter and test for ground through Ohms or Continuity to see how good of a ground it is. Using a self tapping screw with a star washer is a always a good idea

Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I actually found a good bare metal ground close to the steering column, and I went with a round terminal crimp connector and a decent ground screw. Radio works nicely, now time to replace the rear speakers and nab an amp (apparently the person who own the truck before me had a system that he wanted to keep lol)

Quick Reply: Need a good location for wiring harness ground- '99 Ram