Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Using two cameras with NAV/DVD back up system

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Amset71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using two cameras with NAV/DVD back up system

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice on how to splice a second camera into my existing back up camera wiring that I can run to the back of a travel trailer I am pulling.

I would like to have a 2-way switch in the cab that I can use to switch between either camera depending on what I am doing.

The OEM connector in the tailgate has 5 wires. Red, black, brown, green/brown, green/orange. It looks like the brown and green/brown control the camera, not sure what the green/orange does.

Any electrical experts want to give this a go?

Thanks for the help!

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi, SLT Crew Cab w/ Rambox, NAV

Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Pretty simple but your problem is you cant have two signal inputs at the same time. In other words you switch will have to turn on one camera and turn off the other. Using a double pole switch can do this. Center pin would be ground and the two outer pins would be 12v with each going to a different camera.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Amset71

Thanks Weedahoe, just trying to find the time to do this right now and appreciate your comments. I was thinking of putting the switch on the video signal, but was worried that I might get interference since both cameras would still be getting power when in reverse. I guess by running a 3 wire to the back of the trailer and slice in the video to the common monitor input and use a dual pole switch to control the power to either camera I would avoid any interference.

Good suggestion... Thanks!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM
LBC007

I was just thinking about wanting to do this to my travel trailer also, be sure to post up the outcome and any issues you might run into.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Wont really be any issues. When I had my AVIC I had two license plate cams. One on the rear plate and one of the front. They were ebay specials at about $25 each. They were basically a power and ground wire and a yellow RCA video out wire.

Both cams had a RCA coming from them that went into a Y splitter that fed into one input on my AVIC. The double rocker switch dictated which one got power. Up position was the front cam, middle was off and down was the rear cam

Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 AM
garner100
Amateur

Lockpick might work since it can run 4 cameras

Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

True, but how much does the Lockpick cost.... LOL

Quick Reply: Using two cameras with NAV/DVD back up system