Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Adding amplifier to Factory cd player?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
DeezilDennis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding amplifier to Factory cd player?

I Have the Base cd player radio in my 09 ram slt.

I Would like to add a amp to run a subwoofer but I don't really know what needs to be done with a newer radio. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeezilDennis
I Have the Base cd player radio in my 09 ram slt.

I Would like to add a amp to run a subwoofer but I don't really know what needs to be done with a newer radio. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks ahead of time.
My advice to you is look at upgrading decks, OR the alternative upgrading to an aftermarket head unit. The cd player will not have any pre-outs, or sub-outs. Meaning you will not be able to just plug an aftermarket sub into it. I do believe my unit (RHR) has a sub-out, but thats only because I have the upgraded alpine system.

If it were me, I would go aftermarket. Just for the fact that the options you get are much more then you will ever get with factory. Not to mention depending on the brand you go with will be better quality. The only downside of this is I recommend a professional installation for this. The electronics on these new trucks are very temperamental, and even the slightest screw up could leave you with a truck that doesn't work. AND just for the simple fact that if the company who installs it screws it up they have to pay for the damages. At least they do here in Alberta. So you "technically" have warranty.
If you went with an upgraded factory deck, that is if it has the nessesary outputs, you could do it yourself much easier. However I don't know if it will need a system flash or not.

There is also something called lockpick (Mygig). I know this system does stuff with adding video outputs and whatnot, I don't know if it does anything with the audio tho. That might be something to look into as well.

As for the sub goes, There are companies that build a specific box with a built in sub for the ram. I think they are a fox box or something :S. They basically sit directly into the storage area underneath the back seats. You would still need to find a place for the amp, but there could be many options for that. Either way I do believe you have to remove the cargo fold out "thing".

The last thing I am going to touch on is the amount of power your going to be running. If its just a 10" sub just to add a little low end then disregard this next statement. But if you are one of those people who love to beat down with 2 10s, and be heard from outside. I will say right now that's not going to work well by just adding subs. You will find the rest of your speakers will start to distort because they are powered from the deck. Unless you have the upgraded system with the alpine. Which I know you don't otherwise it would have already came with an 8" in the back. The deck does not have enough power to keep the speakers working like they should at high volume. The only solution to that is to run them off their own amp. Which they are in the alpine system.

Hope this helps, if you need more info just let me know. We can get into details.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
thiggins
Professional
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would work, I use pac for many different things. You would have to plug the new amp into the "rear" RCA outputs. I have only seen this done once, it worked although I think it was the easy way out...

This makes it work, although you do not get as much control over your new system. Also with the original deck being just a regular CD player, there will be pretty much no control. Its not going to be a nice output from that deck, so you will be limited on how it will sound. When I saw the install done with this it sounded pretty horrible. The subs worked, but just the overall sound was muddy and crappy. On the faster alternative music he was playing the subs could not keep up. For an extra 100 bucks this guy could have upgraded the head unit to an aftermarket single din mp3 cd player. These players all all equipped with the proper sub outputs, also many of them now are equipped with equalizers. So for an extra 100 bucks he could have had MUCH better sound...

This is just my 2 cents, I have done and seen many sound installations. I've seen ones like above, where they want cheapest way and least material and installation time. I have also been apart of 20,000 dollar systems. I know that just that little bit of extra money can mean a world of difference.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Gotanks0407

The easiest way to do it.

Kicker.com/Mopar

They make very nice OEM compatible sound gear, it's all plug n play with your current system.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM
jmerrill
Amateur

Originally Posted by thiggins
These work GREAT! I used one in my Chevy Malibu 2009
worked so good, just a little pricy for the one I got.

Quick Reply: Adding amplifier to Factory cd player?