Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Speakers crackling...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Melinda
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers crackling...

Hey I was hoping someone could tell me why i am getting a crackling/popping sound through my speakers only on FM radio only when my car is running seems to get louder as i accelerate but when i let off the gas it almost seems to stop until i press gas again...i have a 2000 d0dge neon and this is the 3rd stereo i have put in it...i didnt have this problem when i bought it but it has been going on for about 2 yrs...???

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM
GearheadDiva

Hi Melinda,

There could be a few things causing this. From what you describe, the sound is a popping static rather than a whine that gets louder and mimics your engine revving as you accelerate. It also sounds like the rest of your stereo system is factory and only the head unit (radio unit) was changed out - is that right?

Since it seems to be tied to the engine operation I'd check these first:

1. If you haven't replaced your spark plugs or spark plug wires in a long time, leaky spark plug wires could be one culprit.

2. Another suspect are your ignition wires which could be worn.

When wires loose their shielding (because of age, excessive heat, environmental exposure, etc.) you can get RFI (radio frequency interference).

Finally, I'd check your antenna.

Is your antenna a fixed length or does it retract and extend? As those power antennas get older they build up dirt between the segments and don't extend all the way. With the antenna extended, grab the top of it and pull it up to be sure it's as high as it will go. Then take some rubbing alcohol and wipe it down to clean it. To "lubricate" it so it operates smoothly, take a piece of wax paper and wipe it down. Test the operation of the antenna and wipe it with more wax paper if needed. You may need a new one depending on its condition.

Also be sure both your radio and antenna are properly grounded.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Melinda
Amateur

Thank u so much for your suggestions...spark plugs i never would have thought but im checkin them out now...
My antenna is fixed but u say make sure it is grounded properly...where would it be grounded? Just at the base?
And my radio...this is what im having troubles with...i have the ground that is coming out of the car harness and the ground coming out of the radio harness...do i put them together or do to i ground them to metal on my car? I had to replace my heater core a while back and this is when my problem started and im pretty sure things didnt get put back how they were...i think before that the ground coming from car harness was grounded to my car but i cant remember for sure.
Thanks again!

Also...i have aftermarket speakers as well...

Last edited by Melinda; 09-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:58 PM
GearheadDiva

For the antenna the ground is at the base on the inside. Sometimes dirt and debris can accumulate there so make sure it's clean and use a wire brush to remove any debris.

You can ground the wire from your radio anywhere on the car that is a good firm, connection to the body or frame of the car (metal). Usually there is a bolt that holds either the dash piece or other structural components to the car - put it on one of these. If you can't find one, run the wire to any place that is makes clean contact with metal, drill a hole, insert the ground wire around the bolt and you're good to go.

If your ground wires have ring terminals on the ends then you can slip more than one ground wire on a bolt.

Quick Reply: Speakers crackling...