Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket stereo system w/bad sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
RobsRedRacer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo system w/bad sound

Hey all,
I have a 06 ram with the 4 speaker..I recently installed a Sony head unit and Polk audio speakers all the way around, 3-ways up front and 2 ways in the rear...now the problem..the front speakers put out all the vocals but no bass, and the rears put out all bass and no vocals..I wired the harnesses as instructed in the instructions too..a friend of mine tried to figure it out by playing with the head unit but was stumped...has anybody had this before? I wanna fix it before I get my sub in..thanks for any help

Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
RobsRedRacer

Oh and I've also tried to search and read some of the sticky's but nothing came close to what I am experiencing

Old 07-07-2012, 02:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Honestly, the only thing controlling your sound is your headunit. If you have tried to adjust the build in settings and it still sounds bad, wither you are doing it right (no offense) or the HU sucks (again, no offense LOL)

Ive always been a Pioneer man myself.

Maybe you can sell it on Ebay or CL and pick up something else

Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 PM
RobsRedRacer

yea Ii bought the stuff off crutchfield so I guess I'll just give them a shout to see if some other people have had the same issues...thanks

Old 09-22-2012, 10:39 AM
jmerrill
Amateur

Originally Posted by RobsRedRacer
yea Ii bought the stuff off crutchfield so I guess I'll just give them a shout to see if some other people have had the same issues...thanks
Please dont take any of my comments more than with a grain of salt, just observation from your post...

If you are going for sound, what sort of sound are you looking for? Clarity? SPL?(loudness?) it matters when it comes to your equipment.

Sony head units offer a ton of features but lack in the power / clarity department... Pioneer is almost the best out there dollar for dollar when building a system. They offer the most output especially the voltage in the pre amp outputs generally 12vlts i had one that pushed 24vlts.. if you can afford it, go eclipse they have the best output power and clarity/spl and features I have seen for an aftermarket head unit but they usually run $400 +

as for the speakers, im not sure why you went 3way in the front and 2way in the rear? This will generally give you nothing but vocals in the front and bass in the back... Take a look at competition systems... no one runs 3ways.. generally when using 2way speakers you will have tweaters somewhere in your vehicle for your highs and clarity... could this be what you are hearing? the difference between the 3way with the tweeter and the 2way without?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM
jmerrill
Amateur

something else you might try, what about a wiring harness adapter? put your wiring back to stock then wire your new headunit directly into the wiring harness? maybe you missed something with the wiring?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try adding an amp
this will do wonders for you
We have plenty of options instock to help you with

Dennis

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM
RobsRedRacer

Originally Posted by jmerrill
Please dont take any of my comments more than with a grain of salt, just observation from your post...

If you are going for sound, what sort of sound are you looking for? Clarity? SPL?(loudness?) it matters when it comes to your equipment.

Sony head units offer a ton of features but lack in the power / clarity department... Pioneer is almost the best out there dollar for dollar when building a system. They offer the most output especially the voltage in the pre amp outputs generally 12vlts i had one that pushed 24vlts.. if you can afford it, go eclipse they have the best output power and clarity/spl and features I have seen for an aftermarket head unit but they usually run $400 +

as for the speakers, im not sure why you went 3way in the front and 2way in the rear? This will generally give you nothing but vocals in the front and bass in the back... Take a look at competition systems... no one runs 3ways.. generally when using 2way speakers you will have tweaters somewhere in your vehicle for your highs and clarity... could this be what you are hearing? the difference between the 3way with the tweeter and the 2way without?
Really, I just want something that sounds good all around..some decent bass without sacrificing on clarity on just speakers at first. I know the best way to get bass is with a sub, which i have I just wanted to try and straighten this out first before installing a sub/amp.
As far as why I went with 3-way in front and 2-way in rear. I just typed in my info on crutchfield and the matching speaker pair for the front/rear model was 3-way front 2-way rear. I put my stock unit back in and it sounded normal as far as vocal/bass for front and rear, so now I'm just looking at taking other's advice, like yours, and look at a pioneer unit

Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
ssokey

Originally Posted by RobsRedRacer
Really, I just want something that sounds good all around..some decent bass without sacrificing on clarity on just speakers at first. I know the best way to get bass is with a sub, which i have I just wanted to try and straighten this out first before installing a sub/amp.
As far as why I went with 3-way in front and 2-way in rear. I just typed in my info on crutchfield and the matching speaker pair for the front/rear model was 3-way front 2-way rear. I put my stock unit back in and it sounded normal as far as vocal/bass for front and rear, so now I'm just looking at taking other's advice, like yours, and look at a pioneer unit
look at here:removed,it is what you need,just plug and play,no need external amplifier,and the sound is big enough,and it has navigation,dvd,cd,radio,bluetooth...everything you need actually including the Sub output,sound good?

Last edited by weedahoe; 09-26-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ssokey
look at here:removed,it is what you need,just plug and play,no need external amplifier,and the sound is big enough,and it has navigation,dvd,cd,radio,bluetooth...everything you need actually including the Sub output,sound good?
Sounds good but way over priced for something that isn't reputable and lacks tech support or knowledgeable custom service. Stick with quality and reputable brands like Pioneer, JVC, Sony, Kenwood, Eclipse, ect. They are the same price in some cases, have been around for years, give excellent support and repairs and are proven winners in mobile audio. Need a custom bezel for a double DIN? No problem. I make them

Last edited by weedahoe; 09-26-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo system w/bad sound