Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Maximum frustration. Aftermarket stereo with Infinity. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
RamtasticVoyage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum frustration. Aftermarket stereo with Infinity. HELP!

Hello. I am to the most maximum point of being frustrated with this. I have looked all over the web and found no solution that worked.

I have a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie with the Infinity speaker system. I bought a wire harness from Wal-mart and went to work. I matched all the wires together fine, but I did notice one thing. I had an extra plain blue wire that didn't match that said "power antenna" which I don't have, so I taped it off. I also have another wire that didn't match the aftermarket stereo's harness, it was a plain orange one labeled "dash illumination". Either way, the new stereo powered up fine. ONE problem: one speaker works and the rest are all scratchy.

Now, I had this same exact head unit in the truck before, and it worked perfect. I swapped it out with my girlfriend's car and went back to stock for awhile. Now, she has a new head unit and I went to put this one back in, and I run into this problem.

Also, I tried taking that plain blue wire and splicing it to the blue/white wire on the aftermarket's harness, still nothing. I know that the Infinity system has an internal amp for each speaker, so I know this is the issue.

No, the speakers aren't blown, I thought I messed them up at first, but the stock stereo runs them perfectly fine. Maybe I bought the wrong wire harness? It didn't say Infinity on the back.

HELLLLP!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
RamtasticVoyage

I still want to use the Infinity amp and know it's possible. I'm just wondering if there's something special I gotta go. I do not want to BYPASS it. I am not installing subs and other amp. I just want this new head unit to work all the speakers. I had it working before...I dunno what's wrong. No one has replied to this in hours, not sure if anyone has a solution here either...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the OEM Infinity amp is not being turned on and thus no sound.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
durangatang04

You will need a radio interface to plug inline with the factory harness so that an aftermarket head unit will work with the factory amp. You can get them on ebay or an online audio store like Crutchfield.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
kyle3194
Amateur

You may wanna check one of the extra wires that you may have taped off. To me it sounds like your amp isnt turning on, sooo If you can find a wire in your harness that says something about remote turn on, then that'll be it. Hope this helps buddy, I know it can be a pain sometimes.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly theres a white wire with silver/black that needs cobnnected to the remote wire

Quick Reply: Maximum frustration. Aftermarket stereo with Infinity. HELP!