Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Subs, Amp, Head Unit help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM
RamFireman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs, Amp, Head Unit help

So, I did a quick search and didn't find exactly what I needed, so I bring this to you.

Before I start, I want to stress that I DO NOT want this to turn into a Sony bashing thread. I was GIVEN these things for 100% free, and I want to install them. If I decide to go with something else down the road, I can, but for now this is what I'm dealing with.

SO! With that out of the way, I was given one of these:

(The actual one I have)

Name:  114.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  88.1 KB

A link.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XM-1652Z-.../dp/B000PH02A6

And two of these:

Name:  113.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  94.8 KB

A link.

Amazon Amazon

And I need a new head unit to power all this stuff. I was looking at this, seeing as it's on sale, and I've always heard great things about JVC. Would this do it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+CD...&skuId=7548041

I'm also about to put these in the truck, as I think the current ones are busted.

Front:

Amazon Amazon

Rear:

Amazon Amazon

So, with all new speakers, a new head unit, an amp, and a couple subs, I'll be pretty much set. What do you guys think about what I'm planning on doing? Again, this isn't a Sony bashing thread. I'm well aware of there being MUCH better amps and subs out there, but these were free. I'm just mainly concerned about the quality of the Boss speakers, and if the JVC head unit will do everything I need it to. All I want is some heavy bass. This won't be a show truck that needs to jump off the ground at every bass hit.

Commence opinions!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Look HERE and HERE for some awesome deals on two head units that come with everything (literally) that you need to install and wire them up

Those 4 way 6x9s you have linked are nice but likely are too deep for the window to clear when coming down.

Some trucks come with 5.25s while others come with 6.5 in the rear doors. Pull your door skin off and verify before buying

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion to you would be to check out Crutchfield.com or sonicelectronix.com They both have awesome headunits at all prices, plus they come with wiring harnesses and dash kits (a must for a good looking install) I bought my dad an alpine from there for about 130 dollars. Its a little more, but not by the time you add in a wiring harness and dash kit for the one from best buy. (plus hey, its an alpine! with bluetooth!) as far as the speakers I have never had any experience with boss. I have put in a set of Kenwood 5-ways and a set of rockford fosgate 3 ways. I would suggest to you the fosgates because they will be a little cheaper. As stated before, you may want to look at the mounting depth you have. I know on the kenwoods I did the window scrapped so we had to use a BUNCH of washers as spacers to move the speaker out from the door panel a little bit more. Let me know if you have any questions, I really like doing the audio side of things.

Quick Reply: Subs, Amp, Head Unit help