Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Radio is draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Raker1970
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio is draining battery

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I hope that I've posted this thread in the right place. I've been having issues with the stock radio in my truck and am hoping that someone may be able to help.

I own a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4X4. A while back I decided to cancel my Sirius Radio subscription that initially was given to me as a 6 month promo when I bought the truck. It seemed that immediately after cancelling the subscription, the radio in the truck would not turn off when shutting down the ignition and opening the door. The lights within the radio would also stay on and I have to power the unit down manually when I park it. Even then the battery will drain within a day or so if I dont run the truck and allow the battery to charge. So Ive been removing the fuse which also controls my power locks, remote starting and the clock/compass display.

Initially, I called Sirius to let them know that something happened to my radio when they stopped sending they're signal to the receiver in it (or however that works) and thought that perhaps it may be something related to the satellite service, but they told me that Id have to talk to a dealer as this was not their issue. So I took the truck to my local Dodge dealer and was told that when they removed the radio they shook it and something, probably a coin, was rattling around in there and it likely shorted out. They also said that they werent willing to open the radio and remove what was in there but wanted $500 for a new stock radio. I decided to try and get whatever was in there out but when I opened the radio there was nothing there. No rattling, no object, no sign of anything ever being there. So now Im confused... Was the Sirius satellite issue just a coincidence that has nothing to do with it? Was the dealer just trying to sell me a radio without digging further into the problem? I've been looking at some other threads in this forum and others who seem to have a similar issue caused by a variety of different things..loose wires, coins, an electronic module being locked. Does anybody have any ideas as to what may be causing my problem? Im reluctant to spend $500 for a new radio if that is not the real problem. I should also add that Ive been burned by my dealership before so I have serious trust issues with them. Any help that you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks..:-)

Quick Reply: Radio is draining battery