Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

05 Dodge Ram Quad Cab- Subs/Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:50 AM
headshothills
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dodge Ram Quad Cab- Subs/Enclosure

Ok,

I have been doing some homework, and back in the day, I could have answered this myself. But since the Audio world has evolved since my High School days, I am looking for some help.

I have searched through the forums and have found numerous information about different enslosures for the Dodge Ram Quad Cab, this is what I have found:

1. MTX Audio Thunderform 2x 10" Subs in a Poly.... Made box - Not sold on the quality - Sealed 1.5 cuft Sealed Both- Mounting Depth ?
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...res/DRQC20.cfm
2. Competion Audio Custom Pre-Fab Box - Looks better, made of MDF instead of that Poly crap- Sealed .6 cuft ea. - Mounting Depth 6.5"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
3. Explosive Audio Outlet Custom Pre-Fab Box, Much like #2 above - Sealed .6 cuft ea. - Mounting Depth 6.5"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
4. Pro Box Rocks - Custom Fabbed Box - Dont know what its made out of, but looks different, and its a Bandpass box - Bandpass
5. Custom made fiberglass box from Local Audio Shop- $250 bucks - They wanna put 2x Eclipse 10" in it

Im just coming off a trade in on my 2002 F-150 which I made 2 custom sealed boxes .65cuft ea, with Rockford Fosgate RFR3110 10" HX2 Power Series subs, powered by 2 Orion Red HCCA 250 Amps. I had 4 Rockford Fosgate 6x8 2-way Titanium Fanatic's in the doors, and a pair of Rockford Fosgate component Fanatic Q's in the kick panels, powered by a Rockford Fosgate 500x and 400s, with a Clarion VRX925VD, with 2 Digital Monster 1F Caps.

For what I am looking to do, I wont have the room to put the RF HX2 Powers in a sub box in the Dodge. With the options above, and specs above, I am looking at trading in the Orion Amps for some JL Audio 500/1's or 1000/1. But with the current options available for a subwoofer enclosure, whether it be a custom Fiberglass one, or one of the pre-fabbed, I am still looking around .6 cuft sealed.

Since I havent been up to date with all of the speakers, and stuff, I just dont want to jump into this and be disappointed. Given the enclosure availability, I am wanting to know what speakers perform best in a .6cuft sealed enclosure. And with option #4, and the bandpass box, what speakers would better take advantage of this style of box. Im not looking at blowing the windows out, but, if it could be done, then awesome. I prefer a clean, well felt bass that enhances the mids and highs, and of course, when you pull up on some punk in a hoopty, yes, I said hoopty, and all you hear is BOOOOOOM, BOOOOOOM, BOOOOOOM, while his car ia covered in primer, the interior is stripped, and he sitting on spinners, and thinks his sound system rocks, I want to pop in something, and blow him away.

As far as the door speakers in the Dodge Ram, I am also looking at replacing those with some kick *** speakers, so any suggestions are encouraged. The truck takes 4x 6.5" speakers in the doors, and 2x 3.5" speakers in the dash, plus I was thinking of getting the kick panels for it, and putting some speakers in it. I installed the head unit tonight, lost the glove box to the brain of the Clarion VRX925VD.

Give me your suggestions, Im not really worried about money, or cost, just honest opinions..

Thanks in advance..

Chris

Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 AM
alpine25
Veteran
Default RE: 05 Dodge Ram Quad Cab- Subs/Enclosure

I would either build a box yourself or have a reputable shop build you one. With .6 cu ft a piece, alpine type s's would perform nicely. As for the front speakers, i have alpine type r compnents on a 100x2 amp, they sound great. And out of those choices i would choose the mtx box, the ebay choices just scream cheap.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 AM
headshothills

Thanks for replying Alpine, I appriciate your input. I know there has to be more options out there, I posted quite a bit. I will look up the Alpine type s' and see what they have. Right now they have me suckered into putting Ecplise 10" Dual 4ohm, 200w RMS DVC speakers..

I wish I knew more about Eclipse speaker. Im from the old school, when MTX Blue Thunder, Rockford Fosgate, And Cervin Vega, and Orion subs used to be the speaker of choice. Now with all of these companies, and all of these different types of subs, Im left in a state of delirium...[sm=headbang.gif][sm=boink3.gif]

Old 09-30-2005, 12:48 AM
alpine25
Veteran

Eclipse is pretty good, so is the older rockford.

I would stay away from the newer p- series rockfords though (p1,p2,p3).

Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 AM
headshothills

Actually, They made the mold today, and started fiberglassing the mold tonight. I decided to go with 2 Memphis Audio M33104D Subs and a Memphis Audio MDC1000.1 Class D Amp for the subs. For the doors I am looking at 4 Memphis Audio MCSQ6.5's or Memphis Audio MCSYNC6 components powered by a Memphis Audio PR100.4. And then maybe an add 2- 3.5" speakers in the dash of the Ram. So we will see. I found a place to give me a smoking deal on stuff, so, he is checking into package pricing....

Old 10-01-2005, 06:13 PM
alpine25
Veteran

Memphis makes good equiptment, you should be happy with it

Old 11-04-2005, 12:46 PM
trill

Good choice.I've got the same truck. I have the bandpass Probox with 2 Kicker Comp vrs and a 1500 watt Hifonics amp, with a Sony Explode Deck. The box is lovely, but I think the subs are not getting the correct air space or something. I want a little bit more bang for this box what should I get?

Quick Reply: 05 Dodge Ram Quad Cab- Subs/Enclosure