Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Overhead DVD player screen aspect ratio problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 AM
racmar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead DVD player screen aspect ratio problem

Hello,

Just bought a new 2013 Journey Crew with the rear video option.
When playing a 16x9 ratio DVD, there are black bars added at the top and bottom of the image and the image is shrunk. It looks like a 2.35 ratio image but it is a 16x9 movie. The DVDs I tested usually do not have black bars on any other DVD players and TVs I have at home.

I showed this to the dealer and they still don't know why this happens. We have tried DVDs in 3 cars and they all show the same problem. I hope they can find something....

I have the Uconnect 8.4 and the video on the console screen is ok with no black bars and image is not shrunk.

Movies with 4x3 aspect ratio are not shrunk. They can be seen with correct ratio (with black bars on each side) and with an extended picture to 16x9 ratio and movie is full screen.

I tested a 16x9 DVD with a modified IFO file to tell the DVD player it is a 4x3 movie instead of a 16x9 movie......The problem is not there with this DVD. I can see the same movie in 16x9 filling all the screen. Image ratio is good and no blackbars at top or bottom of the image anymore.

Looks like it is a video signal problem between the Uconnect console and the rear video screen. I think the DVD player at the console does not send the correct signal to the rear screen. Or maybe a software problem that does not send correct video when movie is 16x9.

Since I don't want to rip, modify and burn all the DVDs we have, has someone seen this happen ?

Any real solution ?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Overhead DVD player screen aspect ratio problem