Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Radio/ speakers upgrade. Need input

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Black Jack
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio/ speakers upgrade. Need input

Well I bought some 6 1/2 and 6X9 speakers along with a Pioneer unit. I plan on just replacing my crap OEM speakers out with my newer stuff. I have done many of CD player swaps back in the day with other vehicles but never with my Dodge. I am going from the stock crapper CD/ radio player to a basic Mixtrax Pioneer unit. I can't find a definite answer on which wiring harness I need to get. Do I need to get a CAN BUS unit thingy, or can I just use the regular old Scosche base harness? My truck does not have all the back up alarms or fancy uconnect crap or REC/ REQ stuff, so I'd think that the base harness would work but I just wanted to throw this out to the masses and see what anyone else could chime in on. Also I have a kicker logo on my driver door but I don't know of anything fancy inside my truck that I've found other than my electric beer getting window. I'm going to also assume that I got the base 4 speaker setup. If I've made a molehill into a mountain someone let me know. I just don't like wasting time and money on crap I don't need to if I can help it.
Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Black Jack
Rookie

Okay. So after calling Crutchfield I found that they sell a $50 adapter. If you go looking on their website it is a Metra XSVI-6502-NAV Factory Interface Adapter. I guess the Nav part is what threw me off when looking through their website seeing how I don't have the fancy shmancy radio. Apparently it works with non Nav crap too for 04+ Chryslers. After speaking with the very nice lady she said that this adapter has an accessory power wire that is needed. Their may be a thread somewhere on the interwebs but I could not find anything about this. If there is anyone who would know how to rig a $10 2005 Ram Schosche wire connector harness to do what this $50 harness can, please post it for me and whomever else may use the information to their benefit.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM
YouCantKeepAGoodVanDown
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the model and year of your vehicle? Do you have steering wheel controls? If your vehicle is super basic then you will probably be able to get away with using a basic wiring harness, you'll just have to run your own accessory wire. If it's not then you might still get away with using a regular wiring harness, but sometimes you can have trouble with the radio working properly.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Black Jack
Rookie

Well I didn't wanna mess with the hassle this time so I did what any self respecting cheap ads would do, find it used on eBay $20 used in good working condition is better than $50 IMO

Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Black Jack
Rookie

I've never made a YouTube vid, but I might do one for the countless others who've been in the same boat I am.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Black Jack
Rookie

Well I got the new unit and some of the speakers replaced. I apparently have a break in the wiring somewhere for both the back door speakers. I guess I'll fish new line and get the 6 1/2s done later. Also I found that I needed an antenna adapter. Oh and an important piece of advice for anyone who buys their vehicle used, take the door panels off once you roll off the lot. Apparently the previous owner of my truck had a passenger who must've shoved a meth pipe in the front passenger door handle hole. I guess some don't understand the proper application of meth injection for trucks

My next ordeals are replacing my thermostat, trans filter, and drop shackles. My truck is gonna keep me busy with small tasks here soon. If I can get a helper I'll do a walk through with photos for the drop shackles.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:33 PM
YouCantKeepAGoodVanDown
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Check out the boot between the door jam and the door. Usually in older vehicles the break in the wire is there due to the wires in the door boot being bent back and forth so many thousand times when the door opens and shuts. I'll usually find wires for the window or door locks that have the insulation already cracked and I'll go ahead and repair those as well while I'm in there. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Radio/ speakers upgrade. Need input