Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Map Update??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 PM
daedalus-nj
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Update??

I just picked up an RER pulled from an '08 something or other. Assuming the maps are original 2007 or 2008, I'd like to update them.

I went to the Navteq website and they will sell the 2014 maps but need the VIN. Since the radio was a swapout I have no idea what the original VIN was. I emailed and asked if they could work with the serial number on the radio but have not gotten a reply.

1. Has anyone else been through this?
2. Is there an alternate source for these maps?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Answering my own question.....

NavTeq said "Call the dealer. We can't help you".

Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM
ehsbones

Hey,
I bought a 2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn last year. Love the truck. When I bought it I was told the truck was all fitted and ready for navigation. I thought that was great because I travel a lot in the winter with my son for hockey. Well this year I got lost during a trip and decided when we got home I was going to go and get the so called App installed in the radio. When I got to the dealership I was told by the parts guy it was going to cost $600+dollars to install. Does anybody know if it is actually this expensive to download a App to a truck that is already set up for it.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 PM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Short answer - you can buy the world's best Garmin GPS for less than that and use it in any vehicle!

I've completed my installation and am totally underwhelmed with the Chrysler GPS. The interface is archaic, menu driven and a pain to use, even after I plunked down the extra money for a Lock-Pick so I could enter an address while driving. I've had numerous portable GPS moving map receivers over the years, mostly Garmin. Even the simplest Garmin is vastly better than the Chrysler offering. The maps all come from the same source, so it's not a question of the database. the user interface is simply horrible.

My $0.02 worth

Last edited by daedalus-nj; 06-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
ehsbones
Smile

Thanks a lot for that information. I might just say the hell with it and get a Garmin.
Thanks

Old 06-02-2014, 02:40 PM
mdkirm

Originally Posted by daedalus-nj
Short answer - you can buy the world's best Garmin GPS for less than that and use it in any vehicle!

I've competed my installation and am totally underwhelmed with the Chrysler GPS. The interface is archaic, menu driven and a pain to use, even after I plunked down the extra money for a Lock-Pick so I could enter an address while driving. I've had numerous portable GPS moving map receivers over the years, mostly Garmin. Even the simplest Garmin is vastly better than the Chrysler offering. The maps all come from the same source, so it's not a question of the database. the user interface is simply horrible.

My $0.02 worth

I totally agree. My Nuvi 2595 has had 2 updates since I got it last 6 months ago. My Durango is only 2 months old and the maps are arleady outdated.. My previous Nuvi with 2012 maps still are showing roads the in car isn't. .at 600.00.. nor can you look up by postal code or via bluetooth to iphone phone book.. (yet the phone talks for music and in car dialing)

I still bought the lockpic.. mostly for safety reasons.. with a 3-5 year old my wife ends up crawling in the back to restart he DVD/Bluray for the kids as the remote will not work in the front.

Quick Reply: Map Update??