Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Stereo Downgrade not working:RAZ to RBB

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:50 AM
B1 Power Wagon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Downgrade not working:RAZ to RBB

I have the opportunity to swap my RBB base radio with an RAZ (CD/Cassette) radio. After swapping the head units, the RAZ works in my truck but my RBB does not work in the other truck; the unit powers up, but no sound.

The other truck has the Infinity sound system, my truck does not have Infinity. I only swapped the head units.

Do I need to swap something else (amp)? Is there a secret code I can punch into the head unit or DRB to get it to work? Do I just need to forget the swap altogether?

The other truck is going to be sold at auction in the next week so I need to get this sorted out pretty quick.

Thanks in advance!!

2003 Ram 3500, Cummins HO, 6 Speed

Old 10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker
Default RE: Stereo Downgrade not working:RAZ to RBB

There is 1 of 2 things that could be happening. 1st is easy if the case. Need to hook the ACC from the infinity amp up. 2nd, means you are SOL. I don't remember what year(maybe 2004 or maybe even earlier) they started doing this with the infinity system. The amp is controlled digitally through a serial port from he radio. The radio sends a command to turn on the amp. It also controls the volume through the serial port.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 AM
B1 Power Wagon
Default RE: Stereo Downgrade not working:RAZ to RBB

Thanks techmanbd!

The "other" truck is a 2004, and after a look in the shop manual, I found out that the Infinity amp is controlled via a serial port....so I decided not to swap. That's karma for you....trying to get something for nothing

FYI: I also read in the shop manual that, in the 2004 at least, the Infinity amp polls the main computer in the vehicle and checks the VIN against its memory. If the VIN doesn't match the VIN in memory the amp will not work properly. The DRB tool can be used to reprogram the amp if it is replaced.

Thanks again!
Tim Way

2003 Ram 3500, Cummins HO, 6 Speed

Quick Reply: Stereo Downgrade not working:RAZ to RBB