Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

'02 Infinity Stereo - blown speaker or amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
empyreal100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Infinity Stereo - blown speaker or amp?

Hi, I've searched existing forums but can't find exactly what I need. HELP!

'02 Dodge Ram QuadCab w/ Infinity stereo. Problem: While cranking up Deep Purple (lots of bass), I suddenly blew something. A definate rasping noise is heard when bass notes are played, seemingly from the center front speaker (if there is such a thing). Rasping sound is not heard from the rear speakers, or from front side speakers, although their sound quality when played alone is so poor that I probably wouldn't hear it anyway. Rasping sound (like a blown amp or speaker) is most noticable when playing CD's, but less noticable on radio, due to lower sound quality of radio.

Interesting dealership note: I took truck to a Dodge dealer. "Retards" is all I can say about that particular dealership. First they first attached the diagnosis order to the wrong truck - two days wasted saying they couldn't hear any problem. Then when they worked on MY truck, they said they couldn't hear any problem. I came in person and played it for them and they admitted the problem indeed was loud & obvious. Next over the phone they said they didn't know what was wrong, but that it couldn't be the amplifier (as I first thought) "because only Infinity systems have amps." I pointed out that I DO have an Infinity system. After a brief argument and a re-look at my truck, the technician agreed that I indeed DO have the Infinity system (nameplates on the roof pillars gave it away, I guess). I collected my truck back before they damaged something, and look here for more competent advice. Any suggestions?

Any ideas what is broken and how to fix or upgrade? Now that Good Guys chain is bankrupt, I can buy powerful new amps for 50% off if I hurry. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 PM
empyreal100
Default RE: '02 Infinity Stereo - blown speaker or amp?

P.S. Any info available on the stock Infinity system: # of speakers & channels, amplifier specs, etc. Google searches went nowhere.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Sounds like the speaker is blown. If you can swap 1 speaker for the other and the problem moves, obviously it is the speaker. And to get the best out of the amps, If you can get 2 ohm rate speakers. That is what the infinity amp is rated for.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:20 AM
empyreal100

YZ426, eh? Is it fun to start it when it's hot? I have a DRZ400 that I thrash. Hey, thanks for the tip. IS there a center speaker in the Infinity setup or is that just my imagination? How many speakers are there, and where?

Old 11-06-2005, 01:14 AM
DCS

As Tech stated it probably is a blown speakers, if your amp was blown you wouldn't hear anything.

You are correct, there is no such thing as a center speaker in this set up. A center speaker is only used in a surround system such as a home theatre. For example, In a Dolby 5.1 surround sound system you have a R & L Front channel, a R & L Rear channel and then the center channel. The center channel is the "up front" sound such as voices.

I would suggest replacing your speakers (if need be) with equivilent Infinity speakers

Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 PM
empyreal100

Thanks for the help. I understand that this is a stereo system, not a 5.1 or 6.1 system. Nonetheless, there does appear to be a speaker in the exact center of the dashboard far forward near the windshield. I can't get my big head up there to hear what type of sound is coming out (bass, mid, or treble). Generally subwoofers are a "center" channel, meaning they are a combined left & right channel. I was wondering if the "center" speaker in the Dodge Ram Infinity setup is combined bass (or treble?) channels? This speaker (or the two close by to either side of it) seems to be the one that is bad.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 07:47 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

The 426 isn't that bad to start when hot. I put the hot start relocator on it so it is now by my thumb. Was a pain when it was stock.

As for the amp. If I am not mistaken, there is a center channel. YOu have 2 in the back(1 each door), 2 in the front, and 2 tweeters that are either on the sides of the dash or one in each front door. Then you have the center speaker, which is a mid range. I am not sure how the truck is set up. But that is what I am thinking. I know we make 7 channel amps and the 7th is a center. You would be happier with the sound if you went with aftermarket infinity speakers. Besides getting the oem once for dodge would probably cost more. I don't know the size though for that center speaker. If you go with the infinity aftermarket, they are rated for 2 ohms. And that is what the amp is rated for at around 40 watts or 50 watts rms. If you go with other brands, just make sure that they are 2 ohms.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:07 AM
empyreal100

Could the center channel by a woofer or subwoofer perchance? This is

For a 2002 Infinity system, is there a separate amplifier unit for this system, or is it integrated into the CD/radio unit (as implied in other posts in this forum)? I was wondering if I could upgrade with a better amp while in there replacing the speaker, but I'd like to keep the CD/radio unit as it fits the wood trim nicely and is easy to operate. The "Good Guys" chain of stereo stores just declared bankruptcy and is liquidating amplifiers at huge discounts.

Quick Reply: '02 Infinity Stereo - blown speaker or amp?