Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
empyreal100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity

Please help. '02 Dodge Ram Infinity 7-speaker system. I want to replace some the speakers only. Anything unusual about the stock speaker & system? Specifically:

1. Are stock speakers 2 ohm or other?
2. Can I simply swap out old for new speakers and reattach the wires?
3. Recommendations for center midrange and front tweeter replacements? Desire is for brighter highs.
4. If I just replace some of the speakers, is it crucial to match the ohms of the replacement speakers to that of the original speakers to keep relative volumes in line?

I realize you all are busy, but if someone knows this stuff for sure, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
clemson725
Professional
Default RE: 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity

I'm pretty sure its all 4 ohm. Not sure about that model truck, but the 95 I used to have with the infinity system had the small tweeters and 6x9s running through the same wires until they split. If this is the case you'll have to run new wires for one or the other. Also if the system is the same as the one i had, all of the speakers have small amplifiers built onto them. Dont expect aftermarket speakers running off the stock headunit to sound any better than the infinity. I would amplify anything I put into it. Might even replace the headunit since most stockers dont have preouts.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:40 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Nope NOT 4 ohms. It is 2 ohms. It is best to keep at 2 ohms all around to have the best performance. The center speaker is NOT a sub.

the question about replacing the head unit and work with the amp that you had on the other post. You can on 2002. The amp isn't controlled through a serial port.

2004 and up you cannot just replace the HU because the amp and HU talk through a serial port.

As far as what speakers to use? Find out what sizes they are. I am not sure what size speakers are in your truck. I would go with the Infinity Kappa's if you have the cash for them. The Infinity References are still nice for a cheaper price, and they are 2 ohm speakers.
You can use the existing wires to attach to the speakers.

By the way, I know this because I work for the manucturer of the amps as a Test Engineer.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM
empyreal100

Thanks Techman,

I am an engineer too, but not electronics (engineering mechanics). I rode the Speed Triple for a day last month -- in Wheelie School at Pomona dragstrip. Nice engine. Is your Daytona 955 the same triple? I lowsided my Aprilia Tuono (see avatar) two weeks ago, up in Malibu, but the oncoming traffic swerved appropriately. When I repair the scrapes we'll have to hook up for some twistees. Do you have a stereo on your bike, too?

Hey, on the Infinity website some of the Kappa and Reference speaker models are 4 ohm, while others models don't list the impedence at all. Is there a way to get them in 2 ohm, or run two speakers in parallel? Or are some of the models 2 ohms and others 4 ohms?

I gonna keep the stock HU & amp. Any significant upgrades for the woofers in the front door? Since this truck is primarily a MC transport vehicle with lots of tools & spare parts, I can't give up any storage or seats for a large subwoofer.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:45 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

What section were you looking at? In the components? They have both 4 ohm and 2 ohm.

Look in the multi element. All the Kappas there are 2 ohms, and references are 4 ohms. Kappas are the expensive ones. I have never looked at the references because I get the Kappas so didn't realize the references were 4 ohms.

I thnk your front doors are 5 1/4? or 6 1/2s? Either way, if you got the Kappas, you would stay within the Wrms. I believe amp is rated 40 Wrms to 50 Wrms and the Kappas are rated 75Wrms. The amp will handle the 4 ohms but you won't get the best sound that amp can put out.

My Daytona 955i and the triple have similar but different engines. Similar is that they are both 3 cylinders. The size for the S3 is a 1050cc motor. Even though the S3 as a bigger motor, The Daytona 955i is tuned to give it more HP's and Torque. Sorry to hear about the bike. A bunch of us went through glendora last weekend and this guy on his cbr600rr went down. Not bad just scraped the side. He was being a lemming, followed the guy in front of him into the dirt. They went to hot into the corner. He got it slowed, but when he hit the dirt side, it went over. Lately we all just go there. It is easy. My friend has a duc and just had knee surgery and I had a bad accident 3 months ago so my back is a little messed up. So we take it slow and easy for now.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:03 AM
clemson725
Professional

I never called anything a sub..........and on my 95, maybe the newer models differed, but they ran to 4 ohms. I put w way infinity kappas in mine. sounded great until i lost both tweeters. If I put a system in my new truck i'll probably go components. And just to join the club i'm a mechanical engineer and have a 2005 yamaha R1 and a 1995 cbr 900RR. the 900 is for sale.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:28 AM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

The 95 would be 4 ohms. It was with the analog amps. I am not sure what year they went to the digital 2 ohm amp.

the Sub comment wasn't towards what you said. In his other thread he asked if it was a sub of some sort. I was referring to that.

One of the guys that I ride with has an 05 R1, very nice. He put the Graves exhaust, sounds awesome.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:03 AM
clemson725
Professional

They think a lot of that graves stuff $$$$$$$$$. I probably wont fool with the exhaust. the stock sounds pretty good when you get it revved up. I've always been a 2 brothers fan though. If your pal with the 600RR doesnt have an aftermarket pipe and wants one, put the 2bros on it. He wont regret it.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:16 PM
empyreal100

Motorcycles & Dodge Speakers........where to begin?

I have a 2Brothers slipon on my Aprilia and it is a real head turner. 2Bros is famous for having a distinct, very low frequency sound, kinda like the muscle cars from the late 1960's. I even get compliments from HD riders on the sound and I broke an incandescent light when I started it in my garage with the door closed[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]. For $20 extra you can custom-order a 2 brothers titanium pipe with no large, ugly yellow name plate and then you have a high-build quality, anonymous titanium pipe with awesome low sound. Much cooler than buying a personality by associating oneself with a heavily-advertised brand like Akro, etc. Best of all, only cost like $400 including chrome midpipe.

As for speakers......thanks for all the advice. I remain uncertain because the infinity website offers PDF's of owners manuals for all its speakers, and every one is currently listed as 4 ohms (Kappa, Reference). So, assuming this may be correct, will I truly get a noticable improvement by simply replacing all my 2 ohm stock infinity speakers with upgraded, but 4 ohm, speakers. I like to listen to music near the max. output level of the system (which may explain why I blew the center speaker) so the loss in effective power from switching to 4 ohms may be a negative.

How about JL speakers? Upscale car stereo place is insisting I will like them better because tweeters are brighter (but they only have the low-end models hooked up for demo). My concern is losing the decent-enough low bass that the stock infinity speakers offer, since I've decided to forego a subwoofer for a long while. Upgraded high-end speakers may assume you will have a subwoof so may not focus on producing much low bass.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:47 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

We must be looking at a different site maybe?

http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...y.aspx?Cat=MEL

I go here and get the PDF for the KAPPAs and I read 2 ohms. Also with the bass, I have the 6 1/2 and 5x7 Kappas and I get good all arround bass and highs. KAPPAS come with a crossover box that sends the low freqs to the woofer and the highs to the tweeters.

You can put 4 ohms on, it may sound fine but you lose the power from the amp. Ohms goes up Current goes down, power goes down. It can also affect THDN which has to do with the unwanted noise.

Motorcycel-
I was told by my dealer not to get the 2 bros for my bike. They are good but for my bike everyone seems to have a hard time tuning right. They recommended Jardine. I actually did some research and I found an english company called Wolf, and heard nothing but good out of them. Gives it a deep throaty sound, without be overly loud. I like loud but not toooo loud.

Quick Reply: 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Dodge Ram Infinity