Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

05 Ram Complete Stereo System LOOK. HELP PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 AM
biglg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Ram Complete Stereo System LOOK. HELP PLEASE HELP

Here it is. I just bought a new system for my 2005 dodge ram. Last week I bought the Kenwood KVT-817DVD in dash head unit. I have it installed and ready to go. Now for the remaining pieces. HELP ME INSTALL THIS. I HAVE A LOT OF MONEY IN THIS AND HAVEN’T WIRED MULTIPLE AMPS BEFORE, OR WIRED TO A HEAD UNIT BRAIN. I HAVE NEVER POWERED UP MY HIGHS AND MIDS.

I have coming in the mail this week the following items. MB Quart DTE-169 for the front doors, MB Quart DFC-116 for the rear doors. I have a JL e2150 amp for those speakers. QUESTIONS ARE:
1. How should I wire the 2 sets of speakers to the amp for the most effective power? Series, parallel, etc?
2. What size power, ground, and speaker wire do I need to use?
3. Do I wired the speakers directly to the amp, or can I use the stock speaker wires in the doors and connect them to the wires behind the HU, then connect extensions leading to the amp?? How to wire that.

Now, I have 2 Image Dynamic ID10V.3 Subs coming. I have a JL 500/1 amplifier coming to power them. QUESTIONS ON THIS.
1. Wiring them to the brain, any knowledge on this, is there a difference going to the HU brain, vs. the standard back of a HU?
2. What size speaker wire for the subs, what size, power and ground wires for the amp?
3. Can I just connect both power wires for the amps on the battery together? I have the HD battery.
4. Can I ground the 2 amp wires to the same location?

Ok, I think that is it. I am just trying to get prepared so I can get this done as soon as the equipment arrives. Any help, and or tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys for helping a semi-rookie! I have never installed this high dollar of equipment. I have only hooked speakers to HU not to an amp, and subs to amp before, never used 2 amps. So please help me. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:59 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 05 Ram Complete Stereo System LOOK. HELP PLEASE HELP

Whew you are trying to learn what takes people years to learn hahah. Here are some sites that I refer to. These should help you out.

carstereo.com

the.12volt.com This one is very informational!

the12volt.com Power and Ground Size Chart

REQUIRE PARTS
A HU mounting adapter this is the plastic mounting bracket.
A wiring harness adapter match the leads from the HU to the harness adapter.
A "amp install kit" for each amp.
A soldering iron to solder the connections. (I dont like using crimp on connectors.)
Get tape or heatshrink to cover the bare wires.

Connect the wiring harness adapter to the HU's wiring and plug it into the HU.
Mount the HU (you will be mounting and unmounting the HU a few times).
Test the system out using the stock speakers. This is about a 2-3 hour job.

DISCONNECT THE NEG BATTERY LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amp wiring
Run RCA cable from the HU jacks to the amp locatioin.
(The non fading RCA is for the sub amp).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE + LEAD of the amp wiring IF IT HITS CHASSIS YOU WILL SEE SPARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the install kit will be a fused + power cable that goes directly to the battery. (Both can go to the battery)
(leave the fuse out for now and put a paper towel where the fuse goes if it is a barrel type fuse,
if it is a automotive fuse type you wont need to do this)
The ground wire can be grounded to anywhere there is a bolt that is solid to the trucks chassis.
(Both amp grounds can be grounded to the same point)

DOOR SPEAKER WIRING
If you are going to put 4 speakers to a 2 channel amp, you need to wire in parallel.
(Only problem this is that you need to look in the amp manual and see what the 2 ohm rating for the amp is per channel.
I would bet that it is going to be too much for the speakers. Use only RMS wattages, PEAK rating is a waste of printing.
But if you have in your heart to do it:

Take the + of the front and rear door speakers Left side twist them together and put it on the L + of the amp.
Take the - of the front and rear door speakers Left side twist them together and put it on the L - of the amp.
Repeat for the Right side.
I would get 16 guage speaker wire

What I would do is use the builtin amp of the HU to power the front door speakers and the
e2150 to drive the rear speakers, making sure you use the rear RCA HU jacks for the amp.

What you have chosen to do is quiet the task. With door panel removal finding a way to get the + power cables to the battery, mounting speakers, HU and amp this is a 6-8 hour job for the moderatly skillful person. Read the sites above and get as much info. Have fun!

Quick Reply: 05 Ram Complete Stereo System LOOK. HELP PLEASE HELP