Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

HELP amp ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
theshocker
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP amp ????

I installed an amp today in my ram. I got everything hooked up and the amp came on but went to "protection mode". So I triple checked everything to make sure I did it right and everything is fine. I had it set up to be brigded, thought maybe that was it so I hooked one speaker up normal and nothing. Actually unhooked the speakers all together and still nothing. I got this thing off of e-bay for cheap, the guy said that it worked a year ago but he was selling as-is. Any thought would be great, all mine are spent!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:59 PM
supergenius
Record Breaker
Default RE: HELP amp ????

ORIGINAL: theshocker

I got this thing off of e-bay for cheap, the guy said that it worked a year ago but he was selling as-is.
sounds like bad news...

Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 AM
theshocker
Veteran

Yeah I know, it was only $20 shipped. What could I expect.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 AM
supergenius
Record Breaker

what's the brand & model number?

Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

Most likely its a faulty wiring set up in the amp. Some brands are notorius for going into protection mode for no reason. Let us know what brand it is.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

First and foremost, check the fuse in the Amp. If you have a blown fuse, it would go to protection mode. Also, make sure to check your power connections and double check your fuses to the radio and the one before the battery.

Some amps will automatically go into protection mode for the smallest thing, like too much vibration, overheating, and a blown fuse, just to name a few.

If it's a decent model amp, you may be able to find somewhere that could potentially fix it. Also, since you dont have a warranty on the unit itself, if at the end of the day you cant figure whats wrong with it, why not crack the case on it and see if you cant physically see something wrong with it? Wouldnt hurt....

One last thing, you could always swing by a local audio installation place and spend the 25-40$ they may charge to have them take a look at your system. Maybe you fubar'd something in your install.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:14 PM
KlerricK
Professional

A blown fuse = amp will not be getting power = no protection mode available. could be a bad speakeror sub. this would certainly put an amp into protection. make sure your power connections are not touching one another. if these things are all ok, then you have a bad amp. sell it on ebay and buy a better one (not on ebay).

Old 12-04-2005, 07:28 AM
RAMBITION

I have heard this story time and time again, E bay is good for some things ,but not car audio gear. I have had many peaple come into the store tell me the very same thing- I got ripped off on E-bay. I would just as soon send somebogy to best buy than to E-bay. Lesson learned. PV.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 AM
White Ghost

I THINK THE THE AMPS JUNK DON'T WASTE ANY MORE MONEY ON IT . GO BUY YOURSELF A GOOD AMP .................................................. .................................................. ......

WHITE GHOST

Old 12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
darrinvw02

i had the same problem with a sony amp. overheated and went into protection mode. brought it in to get it repaired for about 75 bucks. a few months later some bastard broke into my car and ripped the damn thing off.[sm=headbang.gif]