Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

aftermarket speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM
benchi445
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket speakers

If i was going to get new speakers,would i be able to install them without a new amp,onto the factory headunit?i plan on getting new speakers all around, and eventually a new headunit,subs,amp, and all,but only can afford speakers at the moment.i have a 2002 ram 1500 qc with the infinity sound system.sorry,im new to the whole audio thing and dont know much at all right now.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 AM
SemiHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aftermarket speakers

The only issue I would see is the ohm rating of the stock vs the 4 ohm of aftermarket. If the Infinity's are 2 ohm its not a big deal, you will just loose a lil power. Now if the stockers are 8 or 10 ohms, the builtin amp will run hotter. Unless you run it at high vol the majority problem, it should not cause a problem. If you have figured out a way of taking the door panels off and are able to get to the speakers, you can try looking on the magnets and see if they are labeled with what ohms they are. Or find someone with a ohm meter and figure it out that way. A local radioshack usually will be helpful. Just rememeber that the reading is "nominal". Meaning the reading will change with cone movement. The last set that I have checked metered out at 3.8omhs(4 ohms).

www.the12volt.com is a site that I refer newbies to "get schooled".

Takes a couple of days to go through it all. It is technical in nature, but there are plain english examples.

Quick Reply: aftermarket speakers