Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

DVD Bezel install and smothing w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:45 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DVD Bezel install and smothing w/pics

You know...I really like the way that bezel turned out. Rustoleum black matte paint from...walmart? I'd like to redo some of my plastic pieces that way..oh wait, most if not all my interior is plastic[:'(]. Looks cheap, but it does cut down on weight. Anyway, I've never heard of folks using that to paint their interior...got any more tricks? say painting the dash..the pleather stuff or is that just dye territory?

Old 04-04-2006, 05:57 AM
SemiHemi
Rookie

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

You know...I really like the way that bezel turned out. Rustoleum black matte paint from...walmart? I'd like to redo some of my plastic pieces that way..oh wait, most if not all my interior is plastic[:'(]. Looks cheap, but it does cut down on weight. Anyway, I've never heard of folks using that to paint their interior...got any more tricks? say painting the dash..the pleather stuff or is that just dye territory?
It is called Rust-oleum Specialty Textured Paint for Plastic. Ran me about $5. No primer needed. If Walfart dont carry it, any home improvement center should. Grinner used RO on some of his interior pieces grinner's moddin on a budget thread. I have already done the shifter surround, the instrument cluster rings are next with the textured paint. The can is about 1/2 empty/full with 3 coats on the stereo bezel, 3 coats on the shifter surround. Im going to try to find some non textured for my pillars and overhead thingy. I want to try to match the charcoal of the dash vs pure black. Any of the non hard plastic I think would have to be dyed. I have found online some headliner material in dark charcoal for $35+shipping. The only thing is that I would have to dye or reskin the visors.

The stereo bezel is got to be one of the best bangs for the buck: Paint $5, spot putty $5, epoxy $5, sandpaper $5 and either ABS plastic ($5) or install kit ($12) for the ears/half moons. This has got to be one of the best/subtle mods that I have done (besides the A/V stereo) that I have done. What kind of stinks is that it looks like it came from the factory now. The commoner wont know the 3 days it took to get it to look like this haha. If you cant tell, Im stoked on how good this came out (sad isnt it haha).

Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Cool, thanks for th info bud. That bezel looks sh*t hot btw!

Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 AM
SemiHemi
Rookie

Cool, thanks for th info bud. That bezel looks sh*t hot btw!
Not a prob on the info, thats what these forums are about. Here is the final result after painting the stereo bezel, ashtray, shifter bezel and the instrument cluster rings. Just need to work on the steering wheel inserts now.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:04 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hey semi,
Have you heard of anodized paint? In a rattle can? I've heard of folks painting there intercooler piping with anodized paint and wondered if there were any truth in that. I see pics of anodized piping all day long, but is that a professional thing?

Old 04-07-2006, 12:51 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

I love how you used the sports section as the newspaper to put the bezel on =D

Looks good man! Mad props...

Old 04-07-2006, 09:27 PM
SemiHemi
Rookie

Hey semi,
Have you heard of anodized paint? In a rattle can? I've heard of folks painting there intercooler piping with anodized paint and wondered if there were any truth in that. I see pics of anodized piping all day long, but is that a professional thing?
I have never tried or know anyone that has. The only thing is with using anything but textured paint is that the fill job has to be PERFECT! I was afraid that I couldnt get it good enough (first time trying anything like this) so I went with textured. Glad I did, it looks like stock. I had the guys from my work checking it out and noone there thought that I wasnt other than having a DVD.

Quick Reply: DVD Bezel install and smothing w/pics