Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Building a sub box for my truck/car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a sub box for my truck/car

Hello all

I was wondering, you see the car make-over guys like "Pimp my Ride" or "Unique whips" always uses the press board or partical board wood for the Sub enclosures. Is there a reason they use this instead of just regular 1/2 plywood?

Is there a formula that you should use for the building size of the box or does that matter??

I'm pretty good at building things out of wood but was unsure of that.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:37 AM
forbidden
Default RE: Building a sub box for my truck/car

Yes there is a reason that mdf is used instead of plywood. Size definitely matters. Good bass response is all about the box. To learn more about boxes and general info, please visit www.the12volt.com and do some reading on boxes in the general car audio forum. I am one of those pimp your ride kinda guys, I have a 06 Commander ripped into pieces right now having a major system installed here at my shop.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

I have a 36 inch vented box in the middle of my dodge ram seats!!! I have zero room, but god is it worth it!! I always use 3/4 mdf for most boxes, if im running uber big subs I double the wood up to 1.5. Sealed box's are pretty easy to make. Any sub you get should give you specs on wat size box to use. As forbidden said the 12 volt has alot of info that will give ya all the help you shoud need. But if you need a box designed or even made if you dont want to, let me know and I can help ya out.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Rivalry
Professional

Besides the fact that particle board is easier to work with, it doesnt split like plywood, seals well and has good bass response. You will have to use at least 3/4 thick.

size and location matter of the box. If you are making one start with a sealed box as they are easier to make and prolong the life of a sub as compared to a ported enclosure.

In my opinion compound bypass is the best. Ive made those over 17 years ago. I also proved a point to my neighbor back then by using factory 6x9s out of my Camaro (25 watt rated) and built a compound bypass enclosure with them and could shake the floors of his house better than his in home stereo system. LOL

Quick Reply: Building a sub box for my truck/car