Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Looking for subwoofer help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 03:48 AM
MR YOON
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for subwoofer help..

alright, i'm open to all suggestions. I'm basically looking for little more bass but i'm definitely not a basshead. don't want the bass drowning out everything else. don't take me wrong though, I do want nice bass.

So what I'm thinking of right now is either get 8inch subwoofer(s) or a single 10inch subwoofer.
I was looking at :
the single JL Audio 8inchW7 subwoofer (300rms)
dual JL Audio 8inchW3V2 subwoofers (a pair/125rms each)
or just some Fosgate stage 1's for $89 a pair on crutchfield.

I do want quality sound. I'm leaning over to JL's because I want to do it right the first time.

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

John

Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 AM
forbidden
Default RE: Looking for subwoofer help..

A single 10" driver in a sealed box. You do not need to go into a top of the line sub to get good tonal results. Good bass response is all about the box, much more so than the choice of sub. Choose the proper amp for the application and a good cd player with sub level control so that you have control over the bottom end and you will be fine.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:05 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

Eclipse 6000 Series with a Phoenix Gold Xenion 400 W amp, thats good bass right there......

Old 05-29-2006, 06:08 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFKAPPA1003SE
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCRF2002
Have you upgraded your speakers or head unit at all?

Old 05-29-2006, 03:13 PM
MR YOON

ORIGINAL: habeba86

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFKAPPA1003SE
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCRF2002
Have you upgraded your speakers or head unit at all?
hehe, of course. all running off a alpine headunit and phoenix gold amp.
the sub will be running off my alpine 350watt rms x 1 amp.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:15 PM
MR YOON

Forbidden, so it's mainly about the box that the sub is in and not the sub for the most part right? There are so many subs out there. Want some quality bass. I'll look into those infinity kappa subs that was posted before as well.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
forbidden

You can take the best sub in the world, slam it into the wrong box and have it work to 30% of it's abilities. Conversely you can take a flea market brand, put it into that same box and it might just blow away the competition. Good bass response is all about the box. If your amp is a mono type amp, then it should make it's maximum output at 2 ohms. Should this be the case, find yourself a dual 4 ohm sub as this when wired in a parallel circuit will present a load that the amp can make full output into. After you choose your sub, that will tell you what kind of box you should have built for it.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
MR YOON

ORIGINAL: forbidden

You can take the best sub in the world, slam it into the wrong box and have it work to 30% of it's abilities. Conversely you can take a fle market brand, put it into that same box and it might just blow away the competition. Good bass response is all about the box. If your amp is a mono type amp, then it should make it's maximum output at 2 ohms. Should this be the case, find yourself a dual 4 ohm sub as this when wired in a parallel circuit will present a load that the amp can make full output into. After you choose your sub, that will tell you what kind of box you should have built for it.
thanks. I've read that before that if one was to go with a single sub go with a dual voice 4 ohm sub and if one were to go with 2 subs go with 2 ohm subs. Can you explain to me why this is.
I would take it that it is wise to follow manufacturer specifications when making a box correct? For instance the Infinity Kappa 100.3SE habebe posted says 1.00 sqft of air space. Last but not least explain the whole box theory. Bigger box means bigger bass? or what..
thanks

John

Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 AM
car_audio_god

www.soundsplinter.com

Rl-i8, will walk all over the 8w7 in SQ and Output... at a fraction of the price.

I've owned one

Old 05-30-2006, 01:59 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Do you know wat ohm load that amp makes 350 rms? That will determine wat kind of voice coil configuration you will need. You should always go with wat the manu. suggest as a good starting point, bcuz after all they did design the sub and should know were it has a good balance of spl and sq.

Quick Reply: Looking for subwoofer help..