Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Which type of material is better

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which type of material is better

I am looking into getting a custom sub box for under my rear 60/40 bench seat in my quad cab ram.

Im looking at 2 different boxes.

One is made out of a polyethalene.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTX-T...QQcmdZViewItem

the other box is made out of the normal material.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

does the poly material one sound as good as the normal box material?

Old 08-17-2006, 06:45 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Default RE: Which type of material is better

get the polythalene. it has more airspace which means more clarity and loudness. the wooden box takes up too muich space because the wood is thick. get the most airspace you can get.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:05 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I've read a few articles where the plastic cracks if you live in a super cold winter area. The plastic becomes brittle. Just passin info.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

Just because it has more airspace doesnt mean that it will sound better and have improved clarity... Personally... I hate Prefab boxes (Thats why i build all my own) and the Poly Eurethane is nothing special... IF you were to get that i would use sound deadening inside that box because it WILL throw off wierd frequencies at your subs and most likely drive them out-of-phase... The MDF one Is ok by me but if you really want a great box... Fiberglass enclosures are the way to go... Like the Polyeurethane they look very nice and generally have a great fit... But the diffference is that there is a greater strength and flex resistance that the Poly doesnt have... my opinion... get the MDF if you are going to buy Prefabed... also make sure that your subs can opperate well in that size enclosure... im unsure of your sub type or amp that is driving it... but if u really want something to sound good go to a pro and have them build you a fiberglass enclosure... you wont be sorry

Quick Reply: Which type of material is better