Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 01:30 AM
quadzilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Changer

I want to install a Pioneer CD changer in my 04 Ram QC. Can anyone out in DF land give me some direction, i.e. do I need special harness adapters ect.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:10 AM
uawnick
Professional
Default RE: CD Changer

It all depends on what the kit comes with. Is the factory radio still in the truck? If so then you will need an R/F CD changer. Basically all that is is a regular CD changer that comes with a special adapter that goes inline with your antenna. The R/F changers also have their own controll unit that you will have to mount somewhere that is accessable on the dash, somewhee you can reach it and not have to take your eyes off the road. Basically you tune your to radio station i.e. 87.9, and thats where you will get your CD audio from. You will need an antenna adapter because of the funky connection Dodge now uses. R/F changers are not my or alot of other peoples favorites only because they kill some of the CD quality sound. I say if sound quality is really not that big of an issue then go for that type. The changer will come with everything you will need except for the antenna adapter which you can find at any car audio store. If Sound quality and ease of operation are important then I sugguest you go with an aftermarket radio that has CD changer controlls built in. Not only will that be easier, but aftermarket radios sound alot better then the stock factory radios ( Even with the Infinity sound system ). If you wanted to install it that way just buy the radio and the changer, (be sure that they are compatable), wiring harness for your truck, dash kit and an antenna adapter. Wire the aftermarket harness to the aftermarket radio's harness by color ( Everything is color coded for ease... i.e. green to green, green w/black stripe to green w/ black stripe ). **:: Note::** If you have the Infinity audio system you will need to power the factory amplifier by connecting the power antenna wire on the aftermarket wire harness to a switched power source like the red wire or the radios amplifier remote turn on wire which should be blue if it has one. Hope this helped. Either one should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and will save you a heck of alot of money in install fees. Its too simple to let some Joe Installer who doesnt know you or care about your new truck. All he wants to do is get it in and out to get to the next one. Thats how they get their bonuses.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
quadzilla

Thanks for the info, I understand all of what you're telling me but what I'm looking for is if the stock stereo (RBP with Infinity) which has CD changer capability, has a connector in the back for an aftermarket CD changer?? The Mopar accessories catalog shows a CD changer which looks very similar to what I have... I just don't want to break into the dash for a look see if I don't have to.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:29 PM
uawnick
Professional

If your radio has CD changer controlls built in then check at your local Car Audio dealer for an adapter that will work with your stock radio to the aftermarket CD changer. The ones we used to use are called Perephreal, and what they do is basically what your are looking to do. They are a little expensive but worth the $$ Also to take your dash off where your radio is all you have to do is loosen the one screw where the trash bag hook is there on the right side. After you do that there is a vent directly to the left of the radio. Gently Pry on the plastic there where that vent is and that whole panel will come out. Its all clips except for that one screw where the bag hook is. After that there are 4 phillips head screws ( Same as the one at the bag hook ) that hold in the radio. Take them out and bam the radio is out. Look in the back of the radio there will be either one plug where the factory harness is pluged into or there will be an extra plug on the radio that has nothing hooked up to it. If thats the case then yep you can do a perephreal adapter if there is one available. If not then your gonna have to do an R/F changer like I described to you in the last post.... Let me know how everything goes or if you have anymore questions..

Quick Reply: CD Changer