Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

BLown sub?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
nash1970
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BLown sub?

Remember distortion is the biggers killer of speakers .

Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Amps only have a certain amount of voltage that they can use. This is called rail voltage. Well what happens when you play an amp safely and keep it in it's RMS voltage range is you get a nice wave form. When you try and push an amp too far it hits what's called it's ceiling the signal is no longer an AC waveform, instead the peaks of the wave are cut or "clipped" off. This produces a DC singal to the sub. When the sub gets a DC signal, it no longer moves in a smooth linear motion. It stops moving for that amount of time it's getting the DC signal. The linear motion of the sub and the air the cone makes moving back and forth through the voice coil is the subs primary method of cooling itself. And like I said, the amp could potentially be sending 4 times it's rated power to the sub. So when you send 600-800W through a speaker that can only dissipate 200W for any period of time under normal conditions, and it's cooling capabilities are cut even more from the DC signal.... you get a nice paperweight.

Now also keep in mind, your headunit can do the same exact thing. If your headunit clips, it's sending an already clipped signal to the amp. The amp then amplifies that clipped signal and sends it to the sub. Again possibly causing damage. So you can see how important it is to tune your system right.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:57 PM
deanj287
Captain

what can i do to help clean it up? aftermarket head unit? i really want to keep the stocker though. an external crossover maybe? the thing is that the distortion is at low volume as well i have yet to turn ity even half way up because its so loud and bad. i tried different sources of music as well..cds radio and no luck. the door speakers play loud and clear though.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

The sub is probably junk. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head. We had a sub in the shop sound terrible right out of the box. Like the voice coil was rubbing or something. It was terrible. And the sub was brand new.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
deanj287
Captain

my old man jsut said the same thing. i hooked to the front channel on the amp and turned down the frequency and still sounds like ****. im gona pick up another one today and see if my problem will be solved. oh and pics are on the way. havent hid all the wires since i ran into this problem.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 PM
deanj287
Captain

yep its the sub! went and got a cheap pioneer sub to see if it would play and it works just fine. hits pretty hard for only 200 watts and a cheap sub. im taking pics in a bit and will have them up tonight or tommorrow.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:55 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: rtkota5point9

Amps only have a certain amount of voltage that they can use. This is called rail voltage. Well what happens when you play an amp safely and keep it in it's RMS voltage range is you get a nice wave form. When you try and push an amp too far it hits what's called it's ceiling the signal is no longer an AC waveform, instead the peaks of the wave are cut or "clipped" off. This produces a DC singal to the sub. When the sub gets a DC signal, it no longer moves in a smooth linear motion. It stops moving for that amount of time it's getting the DC signal. The linear motion of the sub and the air the cone makes moving back and forth through the voice coil is the subs primary method of cooling itself. And like I said, the amp could potentially be sending 4 times it's rated power to the sub. So when you send 600-800W through a speaker that can only dissipate 200W for any period of time under normal conditions, and it's cooling capabilities are cut even more from the DC signal.... you get a nice paperweight.

Now also keep in mind, your headunit can do the same exact thing. If your headunit clips, it's sending an already clipped signal to the amp. The amp then amplifies that clipped signal and sends it to the sub. Again possibly causing damage. So you can see how important it is to tune your system right.
This is why you should actually buy amps that put out more power than you need and then you properly set the gains and dont have to strain the amp to put the power to w/e its running.....Headroom FTW!!

Quick Reply: BLown sub?