Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

What about this for a fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about this for a fix

Okay, first off: yes I'm a reformed chevyguy. Chevy has just about worn out my last bit of devotion, but I still retain the name out of respect to my many Chevy vehicles (1961 and 1975 Chevy trucks and 1973 Corvette). The new stuff though, Dodge is the only way to go. Having got that off my plate, here's the concept...

How to "fix" the brand. Not that it needs fixed, but if it were perfect, it would make money.

1. Develop a limited number of variations based on your target audience (do we really need so many platforms?)

2. Quit putting things in vehicles that just have to be removed and replaced later (rims, tires, cheap stereos, etc...)

3. Increase options at the dealership to save money on #2.

4. End result is a relatively cheaper car/truck/SUV that is built for each customer.

For example, I go buy a 2007 Charger R/T (like I already did) only the base price of the car doesn't include all the items listed in #2 above. I pick out the 2007 Charger R/T base model. Then, during the finance part of the buying process, I pick out the rims, tires, performance chips, air intake, exhaust system, stereo, speakers, seats, and as many more "bolt-on" options as can be offered by Dodge. In my case, it would be pretty much everything in the SRT-8 with the exception of the 6.1 and the body stuff that looks different. (I want the outside to look like any other 2.7l Charger unless you pop the hood or look at the exhaust hehehehe) Then I come pick up my car a few days later and pay for "my custom vehicle" all at once instead of financing a car I plan to drop another couple grand into to "fix".

There are several gains here:

1. Increased direct marketing for after market parts at the dealership. Covered under warranty, and installed by the experts on your car/truck.
2. Although you're paying "installation" fees, you're not paying for those cheap (fill in blank here) that you plan to replace any way. Why pay for a set of tires or a radio or an exhaust system that you can't sell to anyone later and you don't plan to use?
3.This issomething that would stand the brand name out from all the other "pick a vehicle package we have previously decided on for you" manufactures that produce cookie-cutter cars.

Now, will it cost more? It will initially, but the added expense can be financed and we actually save money in the long run. Will we still make changes to the cars? Yes, because no manufacturer will ever off all the options/equipment everyone wants. Will I have to worry about there being two cars that look just like mine at the local Wal-Mart? Maybe, but at least you had some more options to begin with. Are there anyafter market storesmaking money on selling stock radios, exhaust, tires, rims, or like items? No, and maybe there's a good reason for this. NO BODY WANTS THEM! If they did want the bone stock stuff, go by a Pontiac or a Ford or something. Make the Dodge brand into the Harley Davidson or better yetIndian Cyclesof the car vendors.

Why am I suggesting this? I picked out the exact (or as close as possible considering my options) car that I wanted and then spent almost $3k on aftermarket stuff for it. All the old parts? Can't sell them, nobody wants them, but I still paid for them. It's time for one of these companies to reinvent the car buying process and stand out from the pack. Just changing the body style, color options, or commercial theme song isn't getting it done; so change the experience and bring the remaining car fanatics back into the fold!

Thoughts?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Dakota_24
Default RE: What about this for a fix

That sounds like a good idea.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:30 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Have the dealer put all that stuff in? You must have some pretty deep pockets. Its by far cheaper to "pay" for the stock crap, then replace it with aftermarket stuff later. Most dealers charge in the 80 bucks an hour for labor. Just a radio install is .75 hours if I remember right. That would be 60 bucks just to install a radio. Chrysler probably charges you 25 bucks total for the stock unit. Plus have you priced mopar accessories lately? They are out to lunch. While this is a nice concept, the reality is a bit pricey.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:01 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

This really isnt a half bad idea. But things like stock wheels/tires will sell if you list them in the right spots, and if you pop for something nice from the factory. Maybe the thing to do there is to have an optionto ship the cars in on universal dollies. Get your tires/wheels from Les Schwab or somewhere already mounted/balanced up andthen have them put on when your car comes in. Hell, Id do it myself right there in the lot, takes 30 min.

One thing Id like to see is that idea Scion was kicking around: Have ready-to-paint primer as an option and take a substantial credit on the paint job. Sure, its a purely cosmetic and superficial thing but if Im going to spend $20-30K on a new vehicle and I want it in metallic lime green then thats the color I want. For a pile of bones that big, I dont want to settle for ANYTHING.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional

SHAPman may be right, the dealer costs are pretty steep and it might end up costing more to do it this way. The idea though, is to reinvent the way we buy cars. Maybe the presented scheme isn't the best; maybe the "we don't make it until you order it" thing would be better. Of course, most car buyers aren't patient enough to wait a couple weeks for a car, let alone the months it would actually take to build it. If they could refine the process though to get the wait down to a couple weeks, maybe people would come around to it. I look it like this: Ford is McDonald's (cheap, high volume, okay tasting food if you get the right thing), Chevy is Burger King ( still cheap, slightly less volume, really the same as McDonald's), so why can't DCX be like Jack in the Box or Arby's? The foodand options are muchbetter despite being basically the same price! Okay, maybe that's not such a great metaphor.

I'm digging the ready-to-paint primer option grungerockjeeper. That's a great idea. There's a lot of surfaces we don't see on a regular basis though that are also painted (underside of body is a big one). Would they just be painted a standard color?

With all this together, the dealerships should start looking morelike a performance shop instead of a dealership. Most of us only step foot inside there to buy the car unless there's a warranty claim for something. If they can get us to keep coming back because the options and pricing are attractive, how can they loose?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

ORIGINAL: chevyguy1973

SHAPman may be right, the dealer costs are pretty steep and it might end up costing more to do it this way. The idea though, is to reinvent the way we buy cars. Maybe the presented scheme isn't the best; maybe the "we don't make it until you order it" thing would be better. Of course, most car buyers aren't patient enough to wait a couple weeks for a car, let alone the months it would actually take to build it. If they could refine the process though to get the wait down to a couple weeks, maybe people would come around to it. I look it like this: Ford is McDonald's (cheap, high volume, okay tasting food if you get the right thing), Chevy is Burger King ( still cheap, slightly less volume, really the same as McDonald's), so why can't DCX be like Jack in the Box or Arby's? The foodand options are muchbetter despite being basically the same price! Okay, maybe that's not such a great metaphor.

I'm digging the ready-to-paint primer option grungerockjeeper. That's a great idea. There's a lot of surfaces we don't see on a regular basis though that are also painted (underside of body is a big one). Would they just be painted a standard color?

With all this together, the dealerships should start looking morelike a performance shop instead of a dealership. Most of us only step foot inside there to buy the car unless there's a warranty claim for something. If they can get us to keep coming back because the options and pricing are attractive, how can they loose?
Again, I think you're on the right track. But this kind of setup is really only going to work for certain vehicles. The minivans and mid size sedans wouldnt benefit from this kind of thing at all. on the other hand, Wranglers and Challengers would be a no-brainer. Most of the rest of the line would fit somewhere in between. As to the primer coat thing, why not just use something like rhino liner on the undersides, interior and engine bay? One color--black--and then corrosion wouldnt be near the problem that it is. All cosmetic and readily accessible areas in primer and ready for whatever color you want.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Email your ideas to the new owners of Dodge/Chrysler..........you never know, you might have a new career!!!!

Dusty

Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 AM
chevyguy1973
Professional

Jeeper is right about some models not fitting into the fold, but maybe that's the point. Do we really need another mini-van or soccer-parent vehicle? There are lots of garden variety trucks and SUVs out there. If Dodge is the maker of extreme trucks, SUVs, and sports cars (even if they are 4-door varients), I say trim the line. Product some basic performance platforms with body styles to match market segments and cut the fat off the edges. When a person wants to buy a regular truck go some where else, but if you want the most power, the biggest payload, the best looks, or just a rock solid performer, come on over to Dodge!

Dusty, I'm kind of hoping to develop the idea with a lot of people's input and then forward a link to someone (who I don't know) and say "you want guidance, here's your current fans giving it to you". That way its not just a crack-head idea from some chevyguy person.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Present it in the right format. Use top quality paper and have many sets of eyes proof it for you. A paper presentation carries a lot more weight than an e-mail............

Dusty

Old 06-20-2007, 02:13 AM
chevyguy1973
Professional

Dusty, that makes a lot of sense.

I meant to mention earlier that I love the idea of rhino liner idea. Not only does it better protect the places you can't see, but then we don't have to worry as much about changing the color.

Something that was brought up here locally by a guy I work with (he has a big Dodge truck) was the fact that most of us aren't just buying new cars when the old ones wear out like it used to be. Most of us serious car freaks are changing cars every few years as something else catches our eyes. So improving the quality and performance can only help resale value, which eventually leads to better sales of new cars. Just look at Toyota. Something else that would have to be done is limit the quantity available each year. If you're practically giving away cars at the end of the year, you might be boosting your numbers, but you're also hurting the resale market and devaluating the name. Both of those hurt the auto name in the long run. Keep the ideas coming, I have think skin.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]