Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge Charger: Chrysler Group Release:

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Charger: Chrysler Group Release:

DaimlerChrysler released these pictures today of the 2006 Dodge Charger... here is what TheCarConnection.com had to say about it...

Dodge is revving up an all-new Charger for next spring, the latest in a series of high-profile revivals from Detroit, following the return of the Pontiac GTO and the new-is-old, retro-styled Mustang.

The Charger, which was shown in concept form at last January's Detroit Auto Show, aims to capture the hearts of Baby Boomers and younger drivers alike who relish a return to the era of the muscle car. And though a relatively tame version of the '06 Charger will be offered with a 3.5-liter V-6, the emphasis will be on performance.

Expect Chrysler to focus its marketing campaign on the 5.7-liter HEMI-powered version. And well-placed sources hint that the even more beefy 6.1-liter, 400-horsepower HEMI is a "natural" to follow, though probably not immediately after the car's spring '05 launch.

The original Charger, introduced in 1966, went through a series of changes - and powertrains, including the original, 426-cubic-inch Hemi V-8 that was one of the fastest street-legal engines ever sold in the United States . Like other American muscle cars, the Charger didn't survive the oil shocks of the 1970s, at least not in its original form. In the 1980s, Lee Iacocca's struggling Chrysler rolled out the Charger badge in an effort to attach some appeal to a series of beefed up subcompacts.

If past is prologue, Dodge is likely also to follow up with an array of accessories, from appearance packages to performance parts. The automaker has already begun making forays into the profitable aftermarket for other models in its line-up, and it would be natural to appeal to this need-for-speed with the reborn muscle car.

Indeed, officials at DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group are confirming plans to take the Charger to the track next February. A NASCAR version will make its tire-spinning debut at the series-opening race in Daytona.

Meanwhile, the new Charger is expected to make an appearance in the upcoming remake of the old TV series, The Dukes of Hazzard. But the good ol' boy Duke brothers are still expected to drive around in the original Dodge muscle car.

The concept version shown in Detroit last winter kicked off a fair share of controversy, especially among those hoping for a more retro-looking design, in line with what Ford has done with the restyled, '05 Mustang. But Chrysler officials decided to go for a look representing what they felt was where the Charger would have evolved today.

General Motors adopted a similar strategy when it revived the Pontiac GTO last year. But while fans heralded the Australian-made muscle car's performance, they lamented its lackluster styling. GM insiders report they are working on a significant re-skinning of the GTO that could hit the streets by 2007.

Dodge planners haven't finalized pricing on the '06 Charger, though sources suggest the new car should stay in line with the division's new Magnum. The HEMI version of that wagon goes for around $30,000, or $3000 less than the Chrysler division charges for its big V-8-powered 300C sedan.

redriderbob

Old 10-04-2004, 08:57 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Default Dodge Charger: Chrysler Group Release:

Car and Driver Drawings:

NASCAR NEXTEL Cup 2005 Las Vegas Goodyear Tire Testing:

redriderbob

Old 10-04-2004, 09:08 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: Dodge Charger: Chrysler Group Release:

Compare the new 2006 Dodge Charger design to the 1999 Dodge Charger R/T Concept, which was based off of the LH platform...

redriderbob

Old 10-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the concept better... I'm let down by the actual car... but I'll love it anyway.

~Amanda

Old 10-04-2004, 10:03 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

i like the light designs ion the nascar than the personal car

Old 10-04-2004, 10:35 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Looks like the front end of a Mustang in a way and the rear of a Stratus. I like it. [&:]

Old 10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
shiltz
Captain

biggest disapointment is that it's 4 doors, saw a photoshop someone did of the orange one on another forum, only thing he did was make it 2 doors, looked so much better with that one simple change, 2 door and i'd actualy consider trading in my magnum in a few years for one, but the 4 door just doesn't do it for me on that car.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:17 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Does anyone else hear the air coming out of the balloon? Or am I the only one sorely dissapointed.

Joe

Old 10-05-2004, 09:55 AM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

D-C apparently learned absolutely nothing from Pontiac and their experience with the reincarnated GTO. Performance obviously ISN'T everything- the new GTO by all accounts is an excellent driving and performing car, but because of 'lackluster' styling, it's a sales flop. Furthermore, Pontiac even got the number of doors right, which D-C hasn't managed to do yet. I'm underwhelmed to say the least, and have no intentions of buying one. If a high performance sedan was what I was after, I'd already have a 300C in my garage.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i blame nascar for this. if they would do what they did in the 80s and older, the companies couldnt just drum up a modified car to run. they shouldnt be able to run 4 door "coupe", or cars that are really FWDs. they go to the trouble to make the charger for nascar in a coupe for nascar, but since they dont have to make a street model,thet dont. if you look at some of the more sought-after cars in the past, they are cars that companies made the minimum limit so they could run nascar. the new charger is stupid, and im sure it will pack a ridiculous price tag to match.

Quick Reply: Dodge Charger: Chrysler Group Release: