Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Nardelli: Chrysler to keep brands, may cut vehicles

Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nardelli: Chrysler to keep brands, may cut vehicles

Chrysler to keep brands, may cut vehicles
Bob Nardelli, the automaker's new chairman and CEO, says brands are valuable, but company needs to take a hard look at products.
September 7 2007: 2:52 PM EDT[/align]
DETROIT (AP) -- Chrysler's new Chairman and CEO Bob Nardelli said Friday he plans to keep the automaker's three brands but could cut some products as he leads the company through a restructuring.[/align][/align]"Clearly Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep are all very, very valuable brands," Nardelli said after a speech to the Automotive Press Association. "I think we have to look very hard at some of the product within those brands."[/align][/align]Nardelli wouldn't say which vehicles might be cut from Chrysler's line-up.[/align][/align][/align][/align]In one of his first public appearances since becoming chairman last month, Nardelli said Chrysler's majority owner, Cerberus Capital Management LLC, has demonstrated its commitment to turning Chrysler around by hiring some of the industry's stars. In the last two days, Toyota President Jim Press and former General Motors Corp. China chief Phil Murtaugh have announced that they're joining Chrysler.[/align][/align]Chrysler's restructuring plan not set in stone
Nardelli said those executives are drawn by more than a paycheck.[/align][/align]"We have a common objective that is driving us every day," Nardelli said. "This is more than financial. This is about trying to bring Chrysler, this unbelievably iconic brand, to its proper place."[/align]

Old 09-10-2007, 05:13 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Default RE: Nardelli: Chrysler to keep brands, may cut vehicles

Let me think here:
Jeep Compass
Jeep Patriot
Chrysler Aspen
Chrysler Crossfire
Dodge Nitro

They can come up with their own list considering they know what is selling and what isn't, but hopefully they'll use common sense in elimintating lines, and hopefully making new ones. Some back-to-the-basics powerful yet cheap cars would be very welcome, and believe it or not, with todays EFI, they can give you both power and fuel economy (sure, your not going to be running 400-HP under your hood and get 40MPG, but we can wish, right? [8D]). Realistic pricing on current vehicles (such as Dakotas not costing pretty close to the Rams), and I think they can make some sales.
And Jeep just doesn't need to offer FWD vehicles, period.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the patriots though. The nito isnt bad, the rest can go though.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Polish Don
Rookie

The Aspen will go (competes with Grand Cherokee & Commander)
One of the two (Compass & Patriot) will go
The Durango willgo
The Pacifica will go (already going....)
I would not be suprised if the Magnum does not go
Even the Caliber or Avenger will go (too similar)

Chrysler already stated that they are closing the plant that produces the Aspen & Durango.

Logically, since Jeep and Chrysler are linked at the dealer level, why have two SUVs? Why not rebadge the Commander as the "NEW" Durango? It would look like the Nitro to boot...

I am suprised at the platform sharing of the small car line (Caliber, Avenger, Sebring, Journey, Compass, Patriot, etc) Too many similar cars.....

Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

Package Chrysler with Jeep and have a Jeep pickup like the old J-10 - and then a Wagoneer based upon it.

Patriot sells well, but the tiny soft roaders are an embarrassment.

Dodge is stand alone. I think it'd be better to keep the Caliber than the Avenger. That car is proof positive that sometimes it doesn't make sense to try to compete in every segment.

Go back to the '50's '60's way where you have one basic body, then different styling ('fascias' and taillamps) for different models. Dodge could have a "Polara" or some such basic model with a stripper interior and small engine,then you'd have a "Monaco" luxury model and then a "Charger" with only a V8.

Seems like decreassing number of platforms is key.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No FWD Jeeps (doesn't fit the brand at all, keep Jeep true to it's heritage and use the other brands for something like that)
Dump the Caliber or at the very least use half-decent interior materials and make it look a little better
Agreed on the too many competing SUV's, dump something there.
Does there really need to be a Caravan and a Town & Country?
Pacifica seems to be on it's way out already
And didn't they say there were going to nix the PT Cruiser soon?

Also, why did they ever dump the Neon? I think they ought to bring it back, I see tons of them on the road every day.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

ORIGINAL: Polish Don

The Aspen will go (competes with Grand Cherokee & Commander)
One of the two (Compass & Patriot) will go
The Durango willgo
The Pacifica will go (already going....)
I would not be suprised if the Magnum does not go
Even the Caliber or Avenger will go (too similar)
The Aspen will go but don't expect us to lose our large SUV so soon.[/align]Compass may go but the Patriot won't.[/align]Pacifica is bye bye...[/align]Magnum will stay, why kill a great wagon[/align]The Caliber and Avenger are definitely staying. They are good sellers and great vehicles.[/align]

Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

The durango is staying, it is getting transfered to jefferson north assy in detroit. The aspen will go, the pacifica is a maybe. The magnum is a gonner soon after the challanger release. The aspen is dead after 08-09 ish. They say the compass sells well to women and is holding its own. The commander is done after 08. Which is too bad because I really like mine, and will not go to a GC because its too small. Crossfire is done as well.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

The durango is staying, it is getting transfered to jefferson north assy in detroit. The aspen will go, the pacifica is a maybe. The magnum is a gonner soon after the challanger release. The aspen is dead after 08-09 ish. They say the compass sells well to women and is holding its own. The commander is done after 08. Which is too bad because I really like mine, and will not go to a GC because its too small. Crossfire is done as well.
Can't they at least rebadge the compass as a different brand? It's a joke of a jeep [&:]

Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Should be the PLYMOUTH Compass!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nardelli: Chrysler to keep brands, may cut vehicles