Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler Considers Branding Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler Considers Branding Shift

Ok, as a Marketing Executive, if the CEO Nardelli does not understand that "emotional attachements" are the strongest component of any brand, he's ill-informed at best and an idiot at worst. This is scarey on multiple levels. Not to mention if you gut 1,000 dealerships from an automaker that has significantly less dealerships than Ford or GM, just how far do you think propspective buyers will travel for your product??? Especially without any "emotional" connection?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: netentity

This has already started with the Stratus being discontinued and only the Chrysler Sebring being produced now.
No, the Stratus wasn't simply killed off. It was replaced by the Avenger: https://dodgeforum.com/m_710660/tm.htm

Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I can see them realigning some of the various models to certain brand names... but not grouping all cars with one, then all trucks etc and all that with another. Thats not going to work well. Sure Jeep needs to stay true to Jeep and models like the compass are only watering down what a consumer would normally assocoate with the name Jeep. And on the same note Dodge is normally associated with performance so Charger, Challenger, SRT products, trucks, and some of the suvs could stay or go to the Dodge Brand. Chrysler is the Luxury end and the 300, minivans and whatever large SUV could stay under that logo.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has to be one of the most stupid ideas I have heard in a while. These bozos need to take a look at the history of the company and see how successful Chrysler was in switching over Plymouth customers into Dodge and Chrysler customers. It didn't work and Plymouth did not have near the following that Dodge has. If one of the two car divisions should die, it should be Chrysler. Chrysler has had a lot more flops in recent history than Dodge. The only one Dodge has had was the Magnum, Chrysler had the Aspen, Pacifica, Crossfire, etc. Chrysler's problem is they have lost their luxury image thanks to the ignorance of DCX management that combined Plymouth and Eagle into Chrysler and it appears the three headed dog doesn't seem to understand that was a mistake that should be fixed.

The solution to the overlap problem is repositioning Chrysler as a (gasp) true luxury brand, competing against Cadillac. The mid-sized car should compete against the CTS, not the Camry. If they are going to make an SUV it should be able to match the current Escalade in every way, shape, and form, not a cost saving choice approach. The 300C should be the standard level of the 300. Any future "crossovers" should match the offerings of the Cadillac and beyond, not being a cost effective alternative. This is how you prevent the overlap.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
netentity

ORIGINAL: Midnight

This has already started with the Stratus being discontinued and only the Chrysler Sebring being produced now.
No, the Stratus wasn't simply killed off. It was replaced by the Avenger: https://dodgeforum.com/m_710660/tm.htm
I'm aware of the replacement, however, the only Dodge convertible we have available now is the Viper which is out of many buyers price range. An Avenger convertible would be an interesting concept. No criticisms of the Avenger, I rented one recently and enjoyed it. I like the body style of the Avenger/Charger.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'm aware of the replacement, however, the only Dodge convertible we have available now is the Viper which is out of many buyers price range. An Avenger convertible would be an interesting concept. No criticisms of the Avenger, I rented one recently and enjoyed it. I like the body style of the Avenger/Charger.
Actually, there is no convertibles for Dodge. The Viper is a hardtop or a roadster, not a convertible.

Dodge also has gotten rid of all of its coupes, with Chrysler to soon follow except for the Sebring Convertible. The only coupe on the horizon will be a limited production and costly Challenger....again...making it very Viper like...

(The Viper is not included simply due to its price and very, very limited numbers)

Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 AM
netentity

ORIGINAL: dodgebrothers

Ok, as a Marketing Executive, if the CEO Nardelli does not understand that "emotional attachements" are the strongest component of any brand, he's ill-informed at best and an idiot at worst. This is scarey on multiple levels. Not to mention if you gut 1,000 dealerships from an automaker that has significantly less dealerships than Ford or GM, just how far do you think propspective buyers will travel for your product??? Especially without any "emotional" connection?
I don't care about the dealers being phased out since I ended up going to an auto broker to get my Caliber.The local Vegas dealers I contacted about special ordering what I wanted wouldn't play ball and order exactly what I wanted; they tried to shove whatever they had on the lot on me. So I went to someone who did get me exactly what I wanted.

I do agree about the emotional attachment. Part of my reason of being a Dodge owner twice over is an emotional attachment to the brand. I take pride in owning vehicles with the Dodge logo. We all need to let the suits on the Chrysler board know this.

A shame Kerkorian didn't buy Chrysler, I know he was considering it. I'm sure he understands emotional attachments to products and brands. The MGM lion and Dodge ram logos would be to majestic sites together. He alsosaw the train wreck coming when Daimler bought Chrysler which is why he dumped his stock.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Dodge hasn't had a convertible of its own in a long time without counting the Viper due to the fact that it is technically a roadster. I think the last one they offered was with the Dodge Shadow and it wasn't a dramatic success. I think what Chrysler's real problem is they actually need another division, something to fit between Chrysler and Dodge to maintain the successthat Sebring convertibles have maintained among the other models that Chrysler currently offers which in all truth should be between the two of them. The reason why the Avenger would not be able to fill this gap is Dodge lacks the upscale image needed to counter the rival the more upscale competitors like the Toyota Solara convertible. The only way I would stand behind the suggestion you are making is if there is the evidence to prove that there will be the market fora convertible version of the Avenger, besides there are a fewRUMORS that a convertible version of the Challenger MIGHT be made.

About Kerk taking control, I'm not sure that would have been a much safer move overall. Kerk has a history of buying and dismatling, Chrysler had plenty of that during its marriage made in H#!! with Daimler. I wish it would have been Magna that would have purchased them.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
welshy

This is a dumb plan if they go ahead with it.

This is my proposal.

Dodge should be made to compete with Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy. This should be the mainstream brand.

Chrysler should make more upscale cars to compete with Acura, Lexus, Buick, Infiniti, Lincoln.
Chrysler shouldn't be diluting the image of the brand but trying to market to mainstream people, but should focus on elevating the brand.

Jeep should be made into a true 4x4 company again and get rid of the Compass & Patriot.

Chrysler should keep the Magnum and rebrand it as a 300 Touring like the do in Europe.

By the way, Acura only sold 71,000 TLs last year so why is Chrysler axing the Magnum which sold 50+ year to date thus far?

If they go this route,I will be forced to buy GM.
I am a Dodge guy, not Chrylser, there cars are always to frilly looking.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: welshy

This is a dumb plan if they go ahead with it.

This is my proposal.

Dodge should be made to compete with Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy. This should be the mainstream brand.

Chrysler should make more upscale cars to compete with Acura, Lexus, Buick, Infiniti, Lincoln.
Chrysler shouldn't be diluting the image of the brand but trying to market to mainstream people, but should focus on elevating the brand.

Jeep should be made into a true 4x4 company again and get rid of the Compass & Patriot.

Chrysler should keep the Magnum and rebrand it as a 300 Touring like the do in Europe.

By the way, Acura only sold 71,000 TLs last year so why is Chrysler axing the Magnum which sold 50+ year to date thus far?

If they go this route,I will be forced to buy GM.
I am a Dodge guy, not Chrylser, there cars are always to frilly looking.
I agree with everything except the part about the Magnum. According to Forbes, it only sold 25K at this point.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/08/chr...hisSpeed=15000

Also you have to remember that Acura is a luxury brand and isn't supposed to have as high sales as anon-luxury brand which Dodge is. Even for the sake of debate, I don't see how underscoring what a luxury brand managed to do provides a logical foundation on why they should keep this one car that has had trouble catching on since pretty much the beginning. There is only one month left and don't count on it bringing in a record level of sales.

I'm concerned that the 300 touring would damage the image and popularity of the normal 300 line. I know people don't like to hear this, but large, non-luxury station wagons are simply not popular.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Considers Branding Shift