Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

No more Hemi??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more Hemi??

In the face of newly passed CAFE regulations, it looks as though Chrysler will once again have to cease production of its legendary Hemi engine. Chrysler hopes to sway the definition of what performance and power means to those who didn't grow up with the Hemi engine by offering smaller, more fuel efficient powerplants with similar performance.

"The Hemi is not the powertrain of the future," Jim Press, Chrysler co-president, told Automotive News. "It's the powertrain of today."
One powertrain of the future could lie underneath the hood of the recently unveiled Dodge Zeo — a 268 horsepower electric motor capable of propelling the concept from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. Dodge says the lithium-ions battery pack that powers the car can go 250 miles between charges.
Although the Dodge Zeo offers Hemi-like performance without the fuel consumption or emissions, its technology still puts it several years out. However, Chrysler's new line of fuel efficient Phoenix V6 engines will arrive in about a year. The new Phoenix range of engines will feature double-overhead-cams, an aluminum block, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation. The new V6s should offer greater performance while reducing emissions and fuel consumption.
But Chrysler hasn't completely given up on the Hemi yet. The latest iteration will bow in the all-new 2009 Dodge Ram, which will feature the same displacement — 5.7L — but will see a 10% increase in horsepower — up to 380 — while reducing overall fuel consumption by 4%. The improvement were achieved through variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation.
Chrysler didn't shed any more light on the Hemi's future, but with the new CAFE standards taking effect in 2011, the Hemi's revival could be short lived.

From Left Lane News

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler...he-future.html

Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran
Default RE: No more Hemi??

I bet there will still be a HEMI in our future. Why not make the 4.7 a HEMI with MDS and a hybrid tranny?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Polish Don
Rookie

No, I think they are correct. You will probably see the 6.1 vanish and the 5.7 from cars in the next redesign due to CAFE. The 4.7 will probably get a boost and it will be the top engine.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who knows, maybe Chrysler may sneak out a specialized performance Hemi on its final year and everyone will try to gobble it up.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The truth is, I dont think you'll see the Hemi disappear....

Remember, this same Hemi with MDS is getting 20-25mpg in the Charger....and that thing is a BRICK.....

Now imagine same said motor in something say 700lbs lighter....

I mean, if Chevy can get a 300hp FWD V8 to get 25-30mpg......I'm pretty sure they can find a way for the Hemi to get it as well.....

Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The new 5.7 has more ower with better mileage. They will continue to improve it. They get sales just because of that name and they know that.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Phoenix V6 engines
Why not an inline 6?

I think the Hemi will continue to get improvements and will remain a V8, but it'll get smaller with higher compression ratios.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this CAFE is all crap...i dont know why everyone has their panties in a bunch.."oh no! theyre going to take our V8s"

wrong...

this is another excuse for the govt to rape us on gas guzzler taxes...thats all. thank california.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

this CAFE is all crap...i dont know why everyone has their panties in a bunch.."oh no! theyre going to take our V8s"

wrong...

this is another excuse for the govt to rape us on gas guzzler taxes...thats all. thank california.
wat has california ever done positive for us?? tree huggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no offense to the non tree huggin californians!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like their CARB bs...another government fund raiser that screws the public, but they are so brainwashed to think that it will help the planet...

Quick Reply: No more Hemi??