Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Death to All DCX 2-doors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death to All DCX 2-doors?

Posted in Autoweek.com recently.............

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101450

More of Creed's infinite wisdom........ given his position and paycheck, you'd think he'd have more of a clue![:@]

Old 12-20-2004, 04:04 PM
dakota2112
Rookie
Default RE: Death to All DCX 2-doors?

Interesting article. The decision is probably a direct result of data provided by the bean-counters within DCX.

The reality is that those bean-counters do know what brings in a profit and what doesn't. If DCX knows they're not profiting from coupe sales, then it really doesn't make any sense to continue production. They would need to either boost sales somehow, or drop it. Boosting sales requires funding of course (whether it be additional marketing strategies, or enhancing the product to sell better). The easier answer is to just drop the product.

This is a consumer-driven market, and if people don't buy the coupes, then why continue to make them and lose money? It really does sound like a case of no market for coupes (or at least no market for Stratus/Sebring coupes, per the article).

Old 12-20-2004, 05:25 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reality is that those bean-counters do know what brings in a profit and what doesn't. If DCX knows they're not profiting from coupe sales, then it really doesn't make any sense to continue production.
Right, but what coupes have we had to choose from in the last couple years. OH yeah, the Stratus RT POS. Great chioce though DC. Thanks a lot. Can't afford a Viper so I wouldn't even consider that.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:07 PM
dakota2112
Rookie

I agree with what you and others are saying... that is, it'd be nice if DCX actually made some affordable coupes that people would buy. Apparently the Stratus RT does not meet that requirement. So they'd have to come up with something better, which would fall into what I called the "enhance the product to sell better" category.

But it still boils down to what the market demands, and what the DCX marketing people think will make the most money. The amount of net DCX profit is the only real factor in this equation, and they apparently think they can make more profit by dropping the coupes and investing those development resources elsewhere. Who knows, maybe their market research is way off. But the bottom line is, you and many others on this forum would love to see some decent coupe offerings... but DCX is more concerned about the millions of other consumers out there.

(I'm not in the market for a coupe of any kind, so it doesn't make much difference to me either way.)

Old 12-20-2004, 07:54 PM
shiltz
Captain

yeah, biggest problems with selling 2-doors isn't because they are 2-doors, it's because chrysler 2-doors don't have what people who buy 2-door cars want, at least for the ones that are afordable, when I buy a 2-door I want a higher perfomance car not a car with tepid perfomance like the stratus/sebring which is worse than their full size cars and probably some of their trucks, if anything you would think they would know this as Mercedes has quite a few coupes that sell well, they are just made right unlike the dodge/chrysler coupes.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Jeffy_James
Rookie

I would own a Chrysler 2 door car if they made something worth buying. The Stratus could be a really sweet ride. Get a real engine in that thing and a fun transmission. It seems like Chrysler is trying to find a way to telling people that coupes don't sell. They made two cars and their not a big hit with consumers. Well I guess theres no MARKEt for coupes we better make everything a grocery getter. Don't forget the baby seat, a good old family car for everyone. LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 11:39 PM
redriderbob
Banned

Nope, my inside sources say, that the Stratus and Sebring Coupes will be the only two door models to be discontinued. The Stratus and Sebring Coupes, have had few sales in the past few years. The Sebring Convertible which is based directly on the Chrysler Sebring Sedan (Coupes are Mitsu Eclipse offspring) is the best selling convertible for several years now, and Chrysler will knock that model off. Chrysler's Crossfire, will run for a few more years, since that is based on the pervious generation SLK230 and SLK320 platform, there is no rumor if the car will have another model after it's current lifespan. One rumor for the past few years say around 2007, Chrysler Group will release a short-wheelbase LX platform car to change Mustang and the next generation of Camaro and GTO from GM. So Chrysler's two door status is intact... not including the Dodge Viper and the possible very limited production of the ME-412 supercar.

redriderbob

Old 12-21-2004, 03:38 AM
OG MagDak
Professional

this is what i dont get, so if the stratus only sells 90 thousand a year, and thats why they plan on dropping it, where do they expect those 90 thousand buyers to go for their next car, not back to chrysler-they cant now without a coupe offered, so we'll go get a monte carlo instead i guess. its like sayin hey it was nice havin your business, but we dont want it anymore. ive heard that many times especially with gm that certain categories of cars they offer actually lose the company money,but they keep that car goin just so those few buyers actually have a chevy or whatever, which in return promotes the brand sort of. this is how i see coupes, they might not be in the highest demand, but they CANNOT be denied. the really crappy thing is that by them doing this, its like slapping a lot of LOYAL chrysler fans in the face and saying "we dont give a F* what you think"

Old 12-21-2004, 03:41 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

i would never ever buy a coupe, so i wouldn't mind all coupes dying, but i am concerned about the few potential customers, that would look at Chrysler for a coupe.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Jeffy_James
Rookie

Nickoman,

Are you saying that you would never own a really badass car? You would only own cars that you could stuff baby seats in. No muscle cars, no rat rods and no sports cars. Not sure why people truly like four door cars, only for the fact that they got married and started pumping babies out like there was no tomorrow. When ever chrysler says theres no market for coupes it really rips me off. Chrysler!! Make the MARKET. Make something cool and people will buy it. Even though the 300c is a four door, it destroyed the 300m in sales already. You know why? Because they built something that people wanted. A
rear wheel drive, V8 tire mashing American Made Muscle ( Mostly American). I know that there has to be sedans out there. Because there is a huge market for it. But Chrysler has hardly even tried to bring out a sweet 2 door car that the younger generation would buy. Chrysler is missing out in that 16 to 25 ish age range. I see lots of people driving small 2 door hondas, toyotas, sunfires and cavilers. Its impossilbe to try to make them drive anything that Chrysler or Dodge has made. Since Im in Canada, the Stratus coupe isn;t even sold up here. So what, do I tell everyone to drive a sebering coupe? The last time I saw there isn't many 16 to 25 year olds drving a Chrysler Sebering.

Quick Reply: Death to All DCX 2-doors?