Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler is not joking around.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Hemichief
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler is not joking around.....

Personally I think Cerberus aquisition of Chrysler is a good thing.... They are looking for the survival of the company. I think it sucks for the employees, but in the long run, it may create more job security for them. WOW.....

Chrysler plans two-week July shutdown

By David Bailey1 hour, 26 minutes ago
[/align][/align]Chrysler LLC said on Thursday it would shut all but its most essential operations worldwide for two weeks in July, a first for the struggling No. 3 U.S. automaker as it attempts to cut costs and preserve cash.
Chrysler, which is in a restructuring that includes trimming some vehicle lines and offering buyouts to its 44,000 U.S. hourly workers, lost $1.6 billion in 2007.
The automaker has been accelerating its restructuring efforts since Cerberus Capital Management LP acquired a nearly 80 percent stake from Daimler AG (DAIGn.DE) last summer.
The broad shutdown of Chrysler operations during the weeks of July 7 and July 14 was announced to employees in an e-mail from Chief Executive Bob Nardelli.
Nardelli said the move was needed to help Chrysler to create "efficiency across organizational lines and boost productivity."
Chrysler, General Motors Corp (GM.N) and Ford Motor Co (F.N) typically idle U.S. plants in early July for vacations and shut individual manufacturing operations at various times to retool when they have car and truck model changeovers.
The U.S. auto market has slumped by a wider margin than most analysts had anticipated last summer, when Cerberus completed its acquisition of its majority stake in Chrysler. The company has indicated that it is trying to step up its restructuring efforts in response.
Nardelli has repeatedly said that the automaker would focus on bolstering its cash position, and Chrysler has taken a number of cost-cutting steps in recent weeks.
Chrysler announced last week that it was shutting a design studio outside San Diego it has maintained since the early 1980s.
The automaker has also taken a hard line in negotiations since late last year with bankrupt parts supplier Plastech Engineered Products Inc in an effort to steer clear of a more expensive bailout for the privately held company.
Chrysler's U.S. sales are down almost 13 percent in the first two months of the year.
Chrysler spokeswoman Mary Beth Halprin said the automaker would remain staffed in some areas to support its sales network during the summer shutdown.
GM spokesman Dan Flores said the No. 1 U.S. automaker planned to idle its U.S. plants during the first two weeks of July this year as it has in the past.
Ford is also planning a two-week shutdown of its North American assembly plants in July, similar to past years, spokeswoman Angie Kozleski said.
(Additional reporting by Karey Wutkowski)
(Reporting by David Bailey, editing by Mark Porter and Gerald E. McCormick)[/align][/align]

Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Default RE: Chrysler is not joking around.....

exactly what i said in off-tpoic...

ORIGINAL: HighDuke1911

well, its not what it seems im assuming. i mean, it is to save $$, but its also in part that vacation thing i suppose. i know many, many people who worked/work at GM in parma, ohio who got these 2 weeks vacations. so maybe chrysler is doing the that. the article does say that the big 3 do that. but it says usually in july. so i dunno. hopefully its a good thing.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Hemichief
Veteran

Yeah but onlike the other two.. they are completely shutting down OPS. The whole company is shutting down. Not just a plant here and another one day. A step higher..

Old 03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah this is deffinitly true...got the e-mail today about 7:30 this mornin...gonna drive me crazy having nothin to do for 2 weeks, but a break is always nice at the same time

Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Hemichief
Veteran

HemiYellow - are you going to be ok dude? When I read this.. I thought of you.

2 weeks to work on your truck.. or go fishing.....

Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yeah i should be ok...the department i work in makes all the new builds for the StarSCAN for the mfg plants and dealers, so i'm pretty sure i'm ok lol...just sucks is all....yeah i think i'm gonna take those 2 weeks and go home...might stay up here and work on the ole truck tho...only time will tell

Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

It just sucks when your employer tells you when to take your vacation. Thanks Bob! Anymore moral boosters up your sleeve?[:@]

Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Petz
Professional

the big three business jet mfg in Wichita, Ks take from xmas to new years off every year. The only thing open during that time is the service centers for the customers, but the factory floor is shut down. During hard years the floor also shuts down for a week in the summer.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yup, the electronics company I worked for in North Carolina would always shut down for two weeks around the 4th of July.....saved money, gave the folks an unpaid vacation, and assured a big workload when we went back to work......

Dusty

Quick Reply: Chrysler is not joking around.....